***Crevecoeur Thread***

Pics
I have never had any kind of problem with them getting picked on. They are in a mixed flock and they stand up for themselves. If they get pecked, they peck back.

I don't really know. My creve girl is at the bottom of the pecking order because she is so small. The leghorns she grew up with are way bigger than her, but now she is starting to grow! She's coming up on 19 weeks of age and having a growth spurt! I guess these older breeds grow slowly. Anyway, my one leghorn is the top bird and intends to keep that position. She gives Bouillon a good peck every morning, and he runs from her though he has gotten bigger than her. My other leghorns don't pick on anyone too badly, but Bouillon has started to peck the other leghorns to take the #2 position.

I understand a lot of people see a change in personality of their roos after they are a year old. I'm worried about it and hope my birds will stay nice with lots of family handling etc... I will, of course, report any changes when they come, but they were born in October so we have a long way to go :)

BTW, the leghorns my creve girl grew up with never picked on her, only the older two leghorns, and of those, really only Penny picks on anyone anymore, everyone else is nice. Except as noted above ;) I put out lots of bowls of food so my creve girl can move as needed and still find a bowl of food :)

Thanks, guys, for the feedback. I love the look of the Creves, and love birds which such an established history. I may try a few out next year. If I could find someone (affordable) to build me some chicken coops, I would keep them busy! Thanks for sharing the pics of your birds. They are great!

Chicken coops are so expensive, even when you build them yourself! I was lucky that my brother in law brought over lots of wood and used plywood. I still spent $200 on hardware cloth (because I wanted enclosed/safe runs) And then of course there is a lot of misc. expenditures, like buckets, hardware, etc... OMG, it was still expensive to build, and I did it myself.

But we have a lot of predators here. Most dangerous are hawks and raccoons. We also have coyotes, which can't, so far, get through our fence (knock on wood) and skunks, snakes, and I guess a cat could do damage, as well as dogs but again, dogs can't get into our backyard ATM. If your home is pretty safe, you might be able to get away with some chicken wire (way cheaper) and a simple box structure with one side open, just to keep out of the rain. They don't need much where it's pretty safe.

I live in rural Arkansas, so very NOT safe. We have all the predators you named, plus more. The worst for chickens for oppossums, raccoons and skunks, but I no longer let my cats out after I saw a HUGE bobcat snatch one of my favorites off my back porch.

My Dad has a game camera set up in his back field and caught pics of a huge wild hog and even a bear.

Yes, I do have a smallish coop (about 10 x 12) that needs to be winterized. I figure I will try to cull once they get so big they are crowding (had to order 25 from Sand Hill.) I will have no problem finding folks to give them to -- it is just parting with them that will be hard!

Are crevs fairly hardy? I read somewhere they were more susceptible to rainy/wintry weather.

Please keep the pics coming. Are you going to try to hatch any?

One trick that my mom utilized to be able to use chicken wire , which is cheaper, but diminish threat of predators is to nail aluminum/tin panels all around the bottom and very very top of the wire, as the raccoons cannot climb the tin. I don't believe she has lost chickens to predators in several years. Of course, this wouldn't be an option for anyone in the 'burbs, as it is a bit unsightly.

Since we live on the edge of the 'burbs, I've never seen bob cats or mountain lions here though they are in the neighboring hills. On the other side of the valley, they sometimes get black bears enjoying people's jacuzzis LOL. Yah, it's scary when they can get so close, especially when you have kids!

I don't know if there are problems with Creves and hardiness. People have written both sides, that they are strong, and that they are weak. I live in a very mild winter area, but very hot summer area. I think heat is harder on birds. Sure hope they do ok, I have tons of shade, and tried to pick the coolest spot in the yard to set my coops up. We shall see, as this will be my first summer with birds (I hatched my first birds last October) Anyway, yes, I do hope to get more eggs in April to hatch from exop. I really look forward to it!

Hummm, I'm not terribly worried about looks, LOL. That sounds like a great idea with the tin panels! Thanks for the idea!

As usual, my birds are surprising me again
big_smile.png
I do believe my Crevecoeur pullet has laid an egg! It's a bit smaller than I believe my leghorn girl's eggs ever were (so I don't think it's one of the other two leghorns she lives with who should be laying soon also) And it has the slightest cream color to it, whereas the leghorns really lay bright white eggs. So tomorrow when I eat it, I'll see if it's fertile or not. The leghorn eggs are fertile, but I don't know if Bouillon ever pays any attention to Belina? We will see ... and I shall report back
wink.png

Oh pooty, that was not my Crevie's egg, I just caught one of my younger leghorns in the nest, she laid the same size/color egg (again) today. Yesterday's was either her's or her sisters :( And I was so excited too :(

Oh well, still have something to look forward to :D

came home from the feed store last nite with 3 assorted crested chicks, and after pouring over pics and comparing the two i have to belive i got a lil creve in my selection. i read through about half this thread trying to familiarize myself a little and from what ive seen, im really hoping it turns out to be one! beautiful birds and will have pics up when i can get to taking some!

Back
Top Bottom