Crippled chick

astrid.mary

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 19, 2011
South Otago, New Zealand
I have a 4day old Buff Sussex chick which has developed a problem with its legs and wing, I have searched through other posts and got a few ideas but can't find any that have the leg and wing problem together ... I don't have photo sorry but chick has swollen hocks which are a bit red on the area where it rests on them, can't stand up and one leg kind of stays stuck out in front and the other to the front-bit to side too, toes on one foot are curled (which after looking through other posts I have taped the toes in attempt to correct), also one wing stays extended almost completely out to the side even when the chick is sitting still. I can gently fold the wing back to its natural resting position but it always pops straight back out again. I have read in posts about slipped tendons and have tried the remedy for that also but I can only feel the tendon on one leg and it doesn't seem to stay where I think it should go when I try to slide it back into line with the chicks leg extended gently backwards, I can not feel the tendon at all on the other leg. It does not appear to be in any pain, it chirps (not the distressed type chirp, just normal little peeps) and tries to move around, the other chicks are not bothering it, I have been feeding it honeyed-water from an eyedropper as it can't get to it's feed and water dishes but it does not seem interested in eating the chick crumbs (but it loves the honeyed-water!) and it mostly sits with its eyes closed like it is really sleepy all the time. The chick was not born like this as I know it was fine while it was drying out in the incubator, I was watching them all walking around before I moved them to their broody box, it seemed to develop these symptoms on day 2, all other 13 chicks are fine. I have read posts that suggest chicks like this should be culled and others that say they have had similar problems and their chick has come right on its own after a few days. Suggestions?

Anyone?
hu.gif
It's wing seems to have improved today but no change with the legs.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom