Crippled chicken

love.gif

Eeeeee! What a heartwarming thread!!

I'm so glad she's alive and has found a purpose. She's probably thinking, "just give me something I can be good out so I can live." Poor thing!

Sadly, I dont have a good update. My girl made a quick turn for the worse.....her good leg went bad as well. She had to be put down. I couldn't do it, so thankfully a good friend and BYCer came over and did it for me. It was definitely time, sad as it was.

I don't regret keeping her alive and trying to work with her. She did enjoy the time she was around and seemed to like the company of the chicks.

I know that this is an old thread, but I also have a crippled hen. Both legs do not work since she became broody. It may have been a nest fight or the fact that one of my hen liked to sit on Rumples to lay an egg. Her weakened state added to the problem. Rumples is now about a year old and has been crippled since Easter. I keep her in a separate area because the other 2 hens will beat her up. Her 4 "chicks" are okay around her and one of them insists on sleeping with her. Little Bit will jump the gate at dusk and nestle with her mom and in the morning, she hops out to join the flock. It is sad, but Rumples does not seem to be suffering. Her attitude is great and so is her appetite.

[COLOR=800080]I know that this is an old thread, but I also have a crippled hen. Both legs do not work since she became broody. It may have been a nest fight or the fact that one of my hen liked to sit on Rumples to lay an egg. Her weakened state added to the problem. Rumples is now about a year old and has been crippled since Easter. I keep her in a separate area because the other 2 hens will beat her up. Her 4 "chicks" are okay around her and one of them insists on sleeping with her. Little Bit will jump the gate at dusk and nestle with her mom and in the morning, she hops out to join the flock. It is sad, but Rumples does not seem to be suffering. Her attitude is great and so is her appetite.[/COLOR]
LL
Aww. How is she going? Can she get around at all? I made a hammock for my crippled guinea Dawn. Check out this thread for hammock ideas https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-term-care-of-crippled-silkie-with-picture/10

Back
Top Bottom