Critique my coop...

SouthernBornOUFan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
OKC
Ok a little back story. This was a dog house originally and I've been slowly turning it into a coop. I've added the vent, flooring, and door. The actually opening for the chickens to come in and out is too big, I know. I'll be adding an automatic door with some plywood to fix it. I have chalked all the little cracks and etc to minimize drafts. I'm thinking about adding some insulation to the roof and it's on a stand that will serve as extra room for the run.

I have to finish the roost (which I still need ideas for). It'll be for a max of 5 chickens.

1196609d.jpg

813b6054.jpg

e2d998f9.jpg

It looks great. Good job! I have a dog house I have used as a grow out pen and now use as a duck house. Are you going to add a nest box and roosting bar? How big is it? it does look a bit small for 5 chickens. But then it could be bigger than it looks in the picture.

Quote:
Well, It might be a mix of Bantams and regular size. It's kind of stuck at 4 birds right now per the compromise between me and my wife. LOL. The coop with out porch is about 3ft by 4ft. I plan to add one nesting box.

Chicken.Lytle :

For the roost, you should probably just use a horizontal 2x4, wide side up . My chickens use one or sometimes two of the 4' roost planks, depending on their mood. I have 7 chickens.

I wanted to use something natural. Placement is more my issue. I want them to be high but the problem I'm finding is that the back door kind of interferes. I may just have two 2x4 roost at the front, however make them go at an angle from wall to wall. If that makes sense.

Leads me to a question. Is a poop board necessary for 4 or 5 chickens and deep liter method?​

Last edited:
This is the word of experience. 12 square feet is only enough room for 3 LF chickens (or possibly 4). I went against that knowledge and ended up spending way too much money on a replacement coop when the one I originally bought was simply too small for my 7 girls. The manufacturer of my hoop house said it would house 8. The coop part was about 3x4 with a secure attached run that was 6x4. Not so. the 7 girls were so crowded by the time they were 3 months old that I was afraid they would pick fights with each other when they were confined.

The new coop is 6x8. It is a little too roomy in this cold weather, but better that than chickens walking on each other and picking each others feathers out from boredom and frustration. However many chickens you think will fit in the coop (and it looks very nice, really), just divide that by 2. They get really big, really fast. Really.

Sharol

You could fit 4 bantams in there. I have a dog house I was thinking of selling, but after seeing this I'm rethinking my strategy.
tongue.png

It looks great. I like the over hang with the vent underneath. It's awesome, but, just not big enough for 5 standards.

Well and this is why I like this community so much. I can find out solutions before I encounter problems.

So 3 standards would fit OK in here? (What about 3 standards and 1 Banty?)

Back
Top Bottom