1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

critter-proof latches????

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nikki1, Apr 2, 2012.

1. nikki1

nikki1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    Went to Home Despot today and bought $50 worth of hinges and latches. (sigh....) I feel good about the hasps and bolt latches I got, but I didn't know what clasps to put on them to keep out the coons. My 8 year old was in favor of the Master Lock route, but that seemed excessive. (can't you see raccoons in full-on cat burglar gear with their safe-cracking paraphernalia?) I was thinking the spring -loaded snap clips, like you find on dog leashes, but I wanted to run it past you experts before buying them.

So, what's the verdict? Can raccoon paws undo snap clips? If so, what's better?

--Nikki

p.s. upon check-out, the clerk asked if I had a Home Depot card. When I said no, my son chimed in with "You should, Mom. You're here all the time!" The guy behind me in line just laughed, and the clerk offered him a job.

p.p.s. Also went to the Habitat for Humanity Restore and bought 5 vents, a baggie of nails, and a bunch of knobs and handles for $13, so I'm not entirely un-thrifty. [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I personally believe they could possibly still unlatch that. Would it be possible to attach a lock to your latch?

3. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    I would be afraid that a racoon could get those open. They are way too smart and dexterious. Had one open the sliding window on my pickup one time. Padlock might be the best idea, from the mouths of babes. They alreaady have the mask for the bugular outfit, hope they don't carry a lock pick set or bolt cutters.

4. nikki1

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    I was kind of joking about the Master locks, but maybe I was actually talking sense! My latches will accommodate them, so I guess maybe it's time for a lock-buying trip!

What other solutions have people used successfully? I'll definitely go with locks if it's the consensus, but I'd also like to hear other solutions.

--Nikki

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    my kids love the locks with letters instead of numbers. Espec. when you can make funny words to open the lock , such as "FARTS"

6. SacCityChickens

SacCityChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2012
    Sacramento Ca
    I'm using a bungie cord on my coop door.
    Coons might be smart but I don't think they are strong enough to un-hook a bungie cord streched tight.

scc

7. nikki1

Oct 16, 2011
    Eatonville, WA
    Oooh! I gotta look for those "letter locks!"' Aside from the fact that raccoons probably can't spell, my son needs some extra help with reading. A little incentive!

Bungee cords have promise, too. Our hand-me-down rabbit has a hutch with a lift-up roof, and we keep it hooked down with a bungee cord. No one has gotten her yet, despite the fact that the neighbors lost a rabbit to a predator last fall.

I'm getting a mental image of what my coop will look like....locks with my son's spelling words for combinations, snap clips hung around like Christmas lights, and the whole thing wrapped in hardware cloth and bungee cords. As long as it leaves the raccoons cursing in frustration, I'll take it!

--Nikki

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by