Crockpot Chicken

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by ridgefire, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I got this from a different site, tried it and loved it. Thought I would share it here. This would probably be good if your using an older bird that might be a bit stringy.

This is a simple one-pot chicken and vegetable meal that takes minutes to prepare, and can be left cooking away for hours while you're at work or running all-day errands.
    INGREDIENTS:
    1 pound small white potatoes, halved
    8 ounces baby carrots (half a 16-ounce bag)
    1 medium onion, sliced
    2 large ribs celery, sliced
    8 ounces sliced mushrooms
    1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
    2 tsp dried mixed herbs
    1 14.5 ounce can crushed tomatoes
    1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
    PREPARATION:
    Coat the inside of a 4-5 quart crockpot with nonstick cooking spray. Place vegetables in base of crockpot. Sprinkle with dried herbs. Add chicken pieces, then finish with canned tomatoes and broth. Cook on low for 6-8 hours, until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked.
    If you want to thicken the juices, make a cornstarch slurry of 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to 1/4 cup of broth or water and stir in half an hour before the end.

Serves 6.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mmmmm sounds good! Does it end up like a soup?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What kind of mixed herbs did you use? It sounds very good.

4. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:We had some stuff in the cupboards called, Classic garlic and herb. Dont know for sure what is in it but it tastes good.

5. ridgefire

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:Mine didnt because I used some corn starch to thicken it. Its really up to you and how you like it. I prefer mine more like a stew than a soup

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by