Crockpot Incubator Saga III: Shipped Quails Eggs...?!

clearer than any chicken egg! Granted I’ve never had leghorns ...

Yes! Then we can have a crockpot bator hatchalong 🤣
We haven't even used a normal incubator in a while. Well successfully that is. The last time we tried to use an incubator we bought 6 Narragansett turkey eggs. We candled them and only one was possibly fertile. Then we had a power outage and candled again and only one of them was fertile. We gave it to our broody hen and she got to hatch out a turkey poult and raise her! 🤪

We haven't even used a normal incubator in a while. Well successfully that is. The last time we tried to use an incubator we bought 6 Narragansett turkey eggs. We candled them and only one was possibly fertile. Then we had a power outage and candled again and only one of them was fertile. We gave it to our broody hen and she got to hatch out a turkey poult and raise her! 🤪
Funny, I started playing with the crockpot because I can’t afford a good incubator :oops:

Oh wow, I managed to get 47% on humidity by putting yet another towel over it🤣

pot humidity
4B8B65C6-665B-490B-830C-DA3EC7395FB1.jpeg

room humidity
6E4E1950-1ED8-47B7-B134-56FDF0DDEE4E.jpeg

Welcome back! You’re like my number one crockpot fan, hehe.

When I learned that quails require a lot less space and are quieter than chickens I figured it would be worth it to give it a go :) maybe it’s not for me, but I won’t know until I try!

The photo doesn’t do the eggs justice, but they’re this pretty baby blue. The females need 2 copies of the blue egg gene to lay blue eggs though, so I’ll also be getting regular speckled quail eggs!

Hopefully all goes well, if not, I have some local sources for regular coturnix eggs to fall back on...
Hey 😁 how do I follow this thread? I’ve followed the last 2 but only because I had stumbled on them, then read the thread the same day, sometimes pressing like so I can see my latest activity. Surely there is an easier way? Great articles by the way! I’m hooked! 😁

Lost another one :( some are too dark to see into, but most I can juuuust make out the veins.

I’m wondering whether losing some during this period of incubation is normal for quail eggs. I read that most chicken egg quitters do so withing the first few days and last few days of incubation, which has been true with my experience so far. I’ve never lost a developing chicken egg between day 5 and day 18. However the quails eggs have been slowly dropping out of the running steadily throughout the incubation :/ If this is not the norm then I suspect that either a) it’s because the eggs were shipped egg or b) the eggs were incubated upright and not turned properly or c) incubation settings that worked well for chicken eggs are not ideal for quail eggs...

I hope I find answers, but maybe I’ll never know, haha

candling: day 11.75 A8C68CB6-39B9-4DB8-9B1F-815252EC5F61.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom