Crooked Toes

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zookeepersgirl, Apr 19, 2016.

1. I have a 7 week old chick that I just noticed had crooked toes. Is it to late to fix it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

TIA!

2. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Most likely, unless you think it just happened. I have one with a crooked middle toe, and by the time I knew I could have fixed it it was too late. She does really well, she's 10mo and it doesn't bother her at all or effect her balance. I have another one that has a crooked toe (not as bad as my 10mo though) and she does fine as well. I could have probably fixed this one's as well, but she isn't as bad and she was so skittish when I got her I didn't want to mess with her (she was/is a screamer when I need to try to hold her with a closed hand, she'll perch, but hates to be held where she can't access her wings).

3. How do you fix this without hindering her ability to walk?

4. chickmomma03

chickmomma03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2015
    North Carolina
    Unless it's pretty fresh I don't think you'll be able to. If it's pretty fresh you can splint the toe. I've never splinted so I don't know if it hinders walking/scratching at all. Hopefully someone who has splinted will chime in on that one. If it's not really a fresh dislocation and it's not hindering your chick or bothering your chick then you're better off just leaving it be. Like I said, mine haven't been phased by their crooked toes. Bubbles' middle toe is crooked and Hawk has a crooked side toe. They still scratch, roost, and walk without issue.

5. Thank you! I was worried because I have seen chickens with crooked toes before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by