Crop Problems, Along with numb foot!

Clemmy

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
My Easter egger, who is an older hen has been having many medical problems. We rescued her form a fire, and we do not know her exact age. For the past few months, many medical problems have risen. First, she is limping, and it appears that on of her feet is completely lifeless. She walks on this damaged foot very oddly and limps all the time. Second, her crop is very large and the food in the morning when I check seems to have not gone down to her digestive system. She also has runny poop which I consider to be a problem as well. could all of these medical problems be because she is old??

Give advice on this case if you have any! Thanks!

It would be hard to know if these problems are related or not. Can you post a video of her walking to YouTube with a link posted here? Mareks disease or an injury affecting the nerves in her leg could be a possibility. Mareks can also cause tumors in organs, such as the crop, gizzard, and intestines among others, which could create a crop problem. Reproductive problems, such as internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, and cancer can also cause the crop and gizzard to slow way down. Honestly, without a vet and labs or xrays, sometimes we don’t know what is wrong until death when a necropsy can be performed either at home or by the state vet.

In early morning before she eats and drinks, feel her crop, and describe if it is empty, full, hard, doughy, or puffy. If it is hard or doughy, I would separate her in a dog crate with water and electrolytes and vitamins added, but no food for the day. Massage the crop several times a day. Post a picture of poop if possible. Here is some reading about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

When I felt her crop in the morning several days ago, it was hard and doughy. the last time I saw her poop, it was runny and watery. I will look at her tomorrow since where I live it is currently nighttime. Since I am busy during the week, I will put her in a crate over the weekend and see how it turns out. I have some extraneous avian veterinary sources that i could use for this problem as well. I will take a video and post it tomorrow and keep you updated. Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
A reproductive problem could also be making her lame by putting pressure on one of her sciatic nerves. Older hens are more prone to reproductive disorders, so that would be my first suspicion ahead or Marek's which tends to exhibit more in adolescent birds. Do you know when she last laid an egg? If her oviduct is impacted with lash egg material and/or she is internally laying, that could cause all the symptoms you are seeing. She would also have some abdominal swelling if that was the case. To check for that, cup your hand between her legs from behind whilst she is roosting and feel for any swelling or bloat between her legs and/or below her vent. It is best to feel other chickens at the same time so you get an idea of what normal feels like.

Are you removing access to food at night so that she has no opportunity to eat anything before you check her crop in the morning?

both of her feet have went numb, and I think it's mareks. any thoughts on what i can do? is metacam an option??

You would need to get that from a vet, and if the numbness is from Mareks, I doubt that giving an anti-inflammatory drug would help. If she has internal laying and a mass, such as a large lash egg is pressing on the sciatic nerves, it may not help either. You can get her upright and in front of water and food if you make her a chicken sling. Here are some examples:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Back
Top Bottom