Cross Breeding Questions

CoCovey

Chirping
Jul 11, 2023
Hi all.
I have two tuxedo quail that I want to breed but they don’t have the same base colour. The hen in the first picture is what I think is a dilute tuxedo while the male in the last picture is a Rosetta tuxedo. I was wondering if anyone had any experience breeding the two and what their outcome was.
IMG_0616.jpeg
IMG_0632.jpeg

They both appear to have a rosetta tux base - the lighter one has a diluter that appears to be roux (I know this is called range or scarlett but I can't keep track of which is which...so I just use roux dilute for my punnet squares). From what I understand about roux, females only have the one gene and can't be carriers without showing, but males have two gene copies and can carry the gene without showing. Since your hen has the roux gene, it's just a single copy, so all males who inherit from her can only be hetero because the boys need two copies, which only a male can have.

So if you breed to a non-roux male, half of the roos will be roux carriers, but you won't be able to tell which ones without test breeding.

Half of the hens will be roux and the other half will not be, nor will be carriers.

Rosetta to rosetta = 50% rosetta base, 25% pharaoh base, 25% tibetan base

So now we have for roos statistically 50% ending up rosetta and the other half equally pharaoh or tibetan for base.

Hens would be the same, but half of them will be roux dilute versions of the base pattern - which would be range and scarlett.

Finally, add in your tux to the mix to figure out exactly what the possibilities would be:

tux to tux = 25% white, 50% tux, 25% solid

Your possibilities are:
Roos: Tux rosetta, tux tibetan, tux pharaoh, white, solid rosetta, solid tibetan, solid pharaoh. 50% of them are carriers of roux but will not show it.

Hens: Tux rosetta, tux dilute rosetta, tux dilute tibetan, tux tibetan, tux pharaoh, tux egyptian (roux-dilute pharaoh), solid rosetta, tibetan, range, scarlett, egyptian, pharaoh, and white.

Thank you so much! I am super excited to hear that I possibly have a roux in the mix! I will see the results hopefully by the end of the year

Back
Top Bottom