Welsh harlequin
2 blue runners
Fawn and white runner
Buff
Saxony
Golden 300
Silver appleyard
Rouen

We have a very mixed flock, I was curious if I could get any insight on what offspring would look like.

For example our runners, if breed to our khaki could we end up with a khaki colors runner or if breed with our welsh Harley would we end up with a welsh harlequin with a runners stance?

Then the Swedish specially. We only have blue males but when they mate with either the silver or black could we end up with a duckling with both the drake and hens colors or will the off spring be solid color?

I know genetics aren’t cut and dry and can vary but just looking for basic info.

Thanks !!!

We currently have
Drakes-
Khaki Campbell
2 Blue Swedish
Welsh harlequin

Hens-
Silver swedish
Black Swedish
Cayuga
Welsh harlequin
2 blue runners
Fawn and white runner
Buff
Saxony
Golden 300
Silver appleyard
Rouen

We have a very mixed flock, I was curious if I could get any insight on what offspring would look like.

For example our runners, if breed to our khaki could we end up with a khaki colors runner or if breed with our welsh Harley would we end up with a welsh harlequin with a runners stance?

Then the Swedish specially. We only have blue males but when they mate with either the silver or black could we end up with a duckling with both the drake and hens colors or will the off spring be solid color?

I know genetics aren’t cut and dry and can vary but just looking for basic info.

Thanks !!!
I love trying to figure out genetics. This article has been very helpful https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/

As for your questions, the easiest to answer is the Swedish. A blue has both black and silver. So, if paired with the silver female you should get half silver and half blue. But, if paired with the black you should get half blue and half black.

Your Khaki drake will produce sex-linked ducklings with all the hens except the golden 300 and the Fawn and white (not sure about the buff). The males will be a darker, black based down and the females will be more tan, brown. These are Khaki x Appleyard
F2A4EFB8-EA6B-4FA3-84F7-9999B7F93747.jpeg

These are Khaki x Silver Swedish (except the one with facial stripes). Boys are in the left, girls in the right.
54F13992-06A4-4E12-BEBC-458F9829853E.jpeg

I would think that body shape/ stance would be more of a mix of the parents. I have a Khaki x Appleyard drake he is just a little bigger and heavier than a Khaki.
ABB1BFE4-2C38-4DA7-811D-7F24FA8C68B2.jpeg

Anyway, hope this helps!

I love trying to figure out genetics. This article has been very helpful https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/mallard-derived-duck-color-genetics-basics.74277/

As for your questions, the easiest to answer is the Swedish. A blue has both black and silver. So, if paired with the silver female you should get half silver and half blue. But, if paired with the black you should get half blue and half black.

Your Khaki drake will produce sex-linked ducklings with all the hens except the golden 300 and the Fawn and white (not sure about the buff). The males will be a darker, black based down and the females will be more tan, brown. These are Khaki x Appleyard View attachment 2970359

These are Khaki x Silver Swedish (except the one with facial stripes). Boys are in the left, girls in the right.View attachment 2970361

I would think that body shape/ stance would be more of a mix of the parents. I have a Khaki x Appleyard drake he is just a little bigger and heavier than a Khaki.View attachment 2970354
Anyway, hope this helps!
Thank you so much!! Very helpful going to read up on the link you sent. Genetics are very fun to learn and see the outcomes for yourself. Looking to add a couple Anconas to the folk. But that’s going to be another thread asking for some advice on their coloring specifically. We have very diverse folk and I love having the different breeds and colors. We really don’t want to hatch our ducklings but have seen such amazing crosses that it definitely has us thinking about it

We currently have
Drakes-
Khaki Campbell
2 Blue Swedish
Welsh harlequin

Hens-
Silver swedish
Black Swedish
Cayuga
Welsh harlequin
2 blue runners
Fawn and white runner
Buff
Saxony
Golden 300
Silver appleyard
Rouen

Thanks !!!
LOOKING FOR ANCONA KNOWLEDGE

I would like to add an an on a hen or 2 to our flock. I was going to go with just the black and white but now I am unsure what color Ancona I should add. I’m curious with the 4 drakes I have (blue Swedish, khaki, and welsh harlequin) what the ducklings would look like crossed with. I’m not good with genetics. Essentially what I’m asking is with my drakes if I got a white and black Ancona could the offspring essentially be a blue and white Ancona or chocolate etc.

I don't have specific answers but I have a very mixed flock as well and incubated duck eggs back in November. You can search for my "approx 7 days until hatch" thread and see my ducklings.
My flock is as follows (at the time of the egg laying):
Drakes:
Magpie
Fawn/white runner
Mallard

Ladies:
Fawn/white runner
blue runner (RIP stupid hawk/cat)
Blue swedish
white layer
white crested
2 mallards

Incubated 10 eggs, 6 hatched.
2 swedish mixes
1 mostly white runner mix
3 fawn/white runner mixes with some cool lighter coloring on their wings/backs

You can see pics on my other thread. I think it will really just depend on who mates with who and what hatches, unless you separate your flock into groups to have a better idea as to what eggs might be what. I just kept all my ducks together and decided to see what the offspring looked like. Found it really interesting how 4/6 have a runner stance despite not having a lot of runners.

Here's the thread from my hatching.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/approx-7-days-until-hatch.1502928/

LOOKING FOR ANCONA KNOWLEDGE

I would like to add an an on a hen or 2 to our flock. I was going to go with just the black and white but now I am unsure what color Ancona I should add. I’m curious with the 4 drakes I have (blue Swedish, khaki, and welsh harlequin) what the ducklings would look like crossed with. I’m not good with genetics. Essentially what I’m asking is with my drakes if I got a white and black Ancona could the offspring essentially be a blue and white Ancona or chocolate etc.
Ok, if I am doing my genetics correctly. The khaki drake with the black Ancona hen should produce black and white male ducklings and chocolate and white hens. The blue Swedish drake with a black Ancona hen would produce 1/2 black and white and 1/2 blue and white offspring. The harlequin drake (assuming he is silver) with a black Ancona should produce black and white offspring as best I can figure. Several of the Ancona genes show incomplete dominance which means more of a mix with the others so the other patterns might bleed through ( I think). Anyway, that is my best guess but I mostly have book knowledge.

I don't have specific answers but I have a very mixed flock as well and incubated duck eggs back in November. You can search for my "approx 7 days until hatch" thread and see my ducklings.
My flock is as follows (at the time of the egg laying):
Drakes:
Magpie
Fawn/white runner
Mallard

Ladies:
Fawn/white runner
blue runner (RIP stupid hawk/cat)
Blue swedish
white layer
white crested
2 mallards

Incubated 10 eggs, 6 hatched.
2 swedish mixes
1 mostly white runner mix
3 fawn/white runner mixes with some cool lighter coloring on their wings/backs

You can see pics on my other thread. I think it will really just depend on who mates with who and what hatches, unless you separate your flock into groups to have a better idea as to what eggs might be what. I just kept all my ducks together and decided to see what the offspring looked like. Found it really interesting how 4/6 have a runner stance despite not having a lot of runners.

Here's the thread from my hatching.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/approx-7-days-until-hatch.1502928/
Thank you so much!! Yes we don’t plan on separating them, just keeping altogether. Honestly not even positive if we will hatch out any ducklings just curious in case we want to. We have thought about putting out welsh harlequins together since they are so sought after and no where (around me) has them. Plus they are such a beautiful bird it is so sad to see they almost become nonexistent. I will get out your thread. Interesting how majority have runner stance. Since we have so few in our flock if we did hatch some out I would like to see more but currently 16 ducks is more than enough for our funny farm.

Ok, if I am doing my genetics correctly. The khaki drake with the black Ancona hen should produce black and white male ducklings and chocolate and white hens. The blue Swedish drake with a black Ancona hen would produce 1/2 black and white and 1/2 blue and white offspring. The harlequin drake (assuming he is silver) with a black Ancona should produce black and white offspring as best I can figure. Several of the Ancona genes show incomplete dominance which means more of a mix with the others so the other patterns might bleed through ( I think). Anyway, that is my best guess but I mostly have book knowledge.
Awesome, thank you !!! The reason I was asking is because we really do not need to add any more to our flock but as you can see we love seeing the different types and colors. Ancona is really the last (until we see another we like that we don’t have LOL) one we would like to add. I think all the colors anconas carry are beautiful and if I had to choose one I’m not sure which I would go with. So I was thinking in the future with the drakes we have which color gene would be best to go with the produce other Ancona colors if that makes sense

Helpful!!… I think anyway. So if I got a black and white Ancona would they be considered the black duck in those scenarios. For example for a chocolate Ancona you have to mix a chocolate drake with a black hen.

Also are they specifically saying a chocolate Ancona with a black Ancona or could rhe chocolate technically be a khaki (I realize they are a little lighter but for this questions purpose )

Back
Top Bottom