Crossbeak Easter Egger with possible secondary issue? Help please

Jes78b

Chirping
Oct 26, 2018
So hopefully I'm in the right place and can get this photo posted.
I have a 6 week old EE, Hula Girl aka Hawkeye, that started developing what looked to be crossbeak aka scissorbeak at about 3 weeks old. I initially got an electric nail file and filed it down as much as I could. It seemed like the top beak was curving over the bottom and obstructing growth from the bottom beak. So I cut the top beak just a bit and I've been applying Green Goo to the puffy sac under the bottom beak. It's been separated from the flock, and seems to be doing great. Jumps on my shoulder every morning and attacks my eyelashes, very active, eats normally, drinks better from nipple than traditional waterer, has trouble preening (as expected) and is slightly smaller than pullets of the same age (separate feeding area as of now).
What about this puffy area under beak? There seems to be no change. Is it infected? It was there before I decided to trim beak.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 20181027_080900.jpg

No no secondary Infection I notice it's common in scissor beak Ive seen chicks with a case can live a long, healthy life. If you do have a chick suffering the deformity, be sure to pick it up often to gauge its weight compared to the other chicks. If it seems to be not getting enough to eat, try feeding that one chick separately.

Feeding some foods that are high in protein such as scrambled eggs, mealworms and sunflower seeds can help the beak grow normally.
With regularly good poultry Vitamin

Since a chicken's beak is constantly growing, chickens normally will swipe their beaks from side to side on the ground to keep them trimmed.

Chickens with scissor beak will have a hard time doing that, so putting some pavers or rocks in the run can help her to sharpen her beak.

No no secondary Infection I notice it's common in scissor beak Ive seen chicks with case can live a long, healthy life. If you do have a chick suffering the deformity, be sure to pick it up often to gauge its weight compared to the other chicks. If it seems to be not getting enough to eat, try feeding that one chick separately.

Feeding some foods that are high in protein such as scrambled eggs, mealworms and sunflower seeds can help the beak grow normally.

Since a chicken's beak is constantly growing, chickens normally will swipe their beaks from side to side on the ground to keep them trimmed.

Chickens with scissor beak will have a hard time doing that, so putting some pavers or rocks in the run can help her to sharpen her beak.

No no secondary Infection I notice it's common in scissor beak Ive seen chicks with a case can live a long, healthy life. If you do have a chick suffering the deformity, be sure to pick it up often to gauge its weight compared to the other chicks. If it seems to be not getting enough to eat, try feeding that one chick separately.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.
I've been feeding scrambled eggs, mealworm, and softened crumbles.
I've put her back with her sisters and boy is she happy! I stayed with them about an hour just to make sure they were alright and I noticed she was following the others and pecking their toes, alot. What's that about? Is that normal?

Back
Top Bottom