Crossing Dark Brahma Roo x Buff Hen

MissTracy

Songster
Oct 13, 2019
Good morning!
I found some discussions on the subject but not 100% sure what is what.
I have a dark brahma roo in with a dark hen and a buff hen. Getting ready to hatch some chickies after today, just wondering about colors?
I read that you could get sex-linked, or just muddled dark from the buff. Not sure which is correct ?
7FF5C3C0-EBAB-4E2C-B089-24F482D6F7E0.jpeg
FBCDB6AA-97C2-422E-A42C-4B1B5C885BE2.jpeg

I think you'd get a mix. Here's an old thread with a picture of a mix at the bottom of the thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/buff-brahma-crossed-with-dark-brahma-genetics.402873/

Here's another discussion that seems to indicate a blend of colors will occur: https://www.homesteadingtoday.com/threads/interbreeding-brahma-colors.325538/

I once bred a white rooster (mutt) to a buff brahma and got a barred hen! I went deep into the rabbit hole of genetics to learn there is a barring gene expressed as white, but when looked under a microscope, white on white barring can be seen, so that must have been the case from my rooster. It's incredible what genetics will give you!

Your Brahma is actually a blue silver/gold split partridge. He has blue and isn’t pure for silver, so he isn’t a dark. Dark is silver partridge.

Last edited:
That is lots of words. So basically gonna breed mutts? Or maybe just lots of random pretty colors? Lol.
Basically, your rooster is a “blue dark” but he also has the gold gene, so he isn’t pure for his coloring.

Dark = black silver partridge
Your rooster = blue silver/gold partridge

The pattern of the offspring will be the same, but you’ll get more different colors- like birds with gold or blue.

What are these chicks looking like now?
F42A194F-470C-4716-8D92-7F76E918DE6C.jpeg
3876114F-039E-4014-9B31-92558D135DBC.jpeg
FEFEF97E-DE77-4740-A1E0-7A3E9F5CA564.jpeg

Sorry for the delay! I have them in with my Serama and easter egger chicks, but you can tell they are differently colored, two almost pure black, one grayish, one buff/columbian looking, and ALL heavily bell-bottomed 😂 love it.
Any ideas on hens/roos? I am starting to be afraid of Fernando their dad. He hates my shoes.

Back
Top Bottom