crowing hen question

calicocows

Crowing
Mar 14, 2023
Virginia
how loud is a hen's crow? is it quieter than that of a roo? im worried ill somehow end up with a crowing hen and have to get rid of her due to noise violations.

how loud is a hen's crow? is it quieter than that of a roo? im worried ill somehow end up with a crowing hen and have to get rid of her due to noise violations.
Welcome, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I've only had one out of about 100 hens crow.. and it was very pathetic never developing into a full on rooster crow..

I also wouldn't "worry" about it.. noting the egg song done daily was way more loud and persistant. :oops:

Make nice and share eggs or other garden veggies with neighbors when possible. a little shmoozing *can* go a long way. :)

I have one that seems to be having hormonal issues and she crows. I would say it sounds like it has strep throat and just can’t do it well. My roosters are loud. She sounds horse and weak in comparison. I’m guessing this is pretty rare given I have had 100s of chicks mature and this is my first time having this happen.

Welcome, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

I've only had one out of about 100 hens crow.. and it was very pathetic never developing into a full on rooster crow..

I also wouldn't "worry" about it.. noting the egg song done daily was way more loud and persistant. :oops:

Make nice and share eggs or other garden veggies with neighbors when possible. a little shmoozing *can* go a long way. :)
Funny! Mine is the same. Starts strong and quickly turns into a weak sound lol

A hen crow sounds more like
"rah-harac-haroou!" And she'll sound kind of like she has strep throat, as opposed to a roo's clear
"cock-adoodle-doo!"
It's hard to explain. Listen to a rooster crow and then a hen crow, and you'll hear the difference.

A group of close to laying pullets cane be louder than a crower.
Female chickens in general can get pretty loud.

Agreed. The hens make the most earth shattering screams in the morning, honestly sometimes they're much louder than the rooster, and more persistent too 

Back
Top Bottom