Crowing hen

tabs_flock

Songster
Jun 29, 2021
Oakley, CA
Hello! I have four hens that are about sixteen weeks old. They haven't started laying yet, sadly, but I do have one hen exhibiting unexpected behavior. This morning she crowed like a rooster four times! One of the deals I made with my neighbors when I decided to get chickens was that I wouldn't get a rooster since they are so noisy and now I find myself in possession of a hen with the same noisy tendencies. More experienced chicken keepers, help! What is the best way to address this quickly and effectively?

I believe the behavior is because this is the Boss Hen, as she tends to bully the others and they follow her around when she goes free ranging. I read that separating her from the rest of the flock would unsettle the pecking order and this could stop the behavior, but I do not have a second coop (yet). Would I be able to do the same thing if I let the others free range and kept her in the run for a few days?

Thanks in advance!

:welcome A picture would answer the question, but it is likely that you have a cockerel. Upon occasion hens will crow, but it is generally an older hen - not a pullet.
I got sexlinks specifically so I'd know what I got but am also happy to show off my girls. If I did get a cockerel I will be very disappointed...but she hasn't developed spurs or anything. Anyway, here's the naughty bird her (him?) self!
IMG_5352.JPG

Looks like a Speckled Sussex. Those are not sex linked unfortunately.

Can you get a couple more pics please?
Standing and from my he side will help a lot.

I strongly suspect that you have a young male there.
Well...beans. I'm pretty sure we aren't allowed roosters in my area. Here are a couple more pictures, including one of the whole crew. Let me know if you need a better picture of his back and I'll go out to snap one.

IMG_5187.JPG
IMG_5252.JPG
64420142539__FA186013-A614-4E50-BE27-BAFF539D2F62 (1).JPG

Unfortunately that's a boy. The two orange/white ones are your red sex links. I'm not sure what the grey one is but it looks like a girl.

I don't know where you got them or who told you it was a sex link but it's not.
Well... that's probably on me for not paying attention ;_;

Dang, will a 3 hen flock do alright or should I go get another (which I will double confirm this time is a sex-link)? And what's the best way to go about rehoming a rooster? This particular bird is pretty used to being handled. I just picked him up and chucked him off the bench this morning when he annoyed me. I also pick him up and take him out of my planters constantly without any problem.

Back
Top Bottom