Cubalaya Thread For Sharing Pics and Discussing Our Birds

Pics
my wheaton or bb red hens were dark cinnamon around the neck. the gold wheaton was actually gold colored. these wheatons are cinnamon with some gold and black feathering on the neck.

Quote:
This is the same understanding that I have always had. Hens only carry one color gene though possibly with modifiers. So they are either silver or red but not gold. Gold is the interaction of inheriting both colors and that isn't going to happen except with a cock. It's what I understand by reading writings on genetics/color but also through the hands on application of working with Cubalayas, Dorkings and Modern Games who can all be some form of duckwing or wheaton from silver and/or red. I will admit though that I have run into folks who work with these colors and will insist that the silver hens might be golden. I still believe that while we can have modifiers producing some gold hackle edges or foxy shoulders these hens are silver.
hmm.png
I'm not here to state anything as being absolutely correct and if someone has breeding experience or someone's written work to support a different point of view I hope they will post here. Has anyone got or read Brian Reeder's book on chicken colors and genetics?

Quote:
This is the same understanding that I have always had. Hens only carry one color gene though possibly with modifiers. So they are either silver or red but not gold. Gold is the interaction of inheriting both colors and that isn't going to happen except with a cock. It's what I understand by reading writings on genetics/color but also through the hands on application of working with Cubalayas, Dorkings and Modern Games who can all be some form of duckwing or wheaton from silver and/or red. I will admit though that I have run into folks who work with these colors and will insist that the silver hens might be golden. I still believe that while we can have modifiers producing some gold hackle edges or foxy shoulders these hens are silver.
hmm.png
I'm not here to state anything as being absolutely correct and if someone has breeding experience or someone's written work to support a different point of view I hope they will post here. Has anyone got or read Brian Reeder's book on chicken colors and genetics?

I reckon Saladin has the breeding experience to know what colors produce what in Cubalaya.
wink.png

Right about Saladin as far as I can tell. But then I'm either missing something or he is saying that he'd expect the same things from those matings that I would.
big_smile.png

I don't know how to introduce DaveK; other than to say (if he is the only DaveK I know) that besides Sam Brush;

THIS MAN KNOWS MORE ABOUT CUBALAYAS THAN ANYONE I KNOW.

Y'all best listen to what he says; it's gospel.

If you breed a Wheaten cock over a silver wheaten hen you will receive: pure wheaten daughters and silver wheaten sons: the males will be creamy because they have silver and gold.

Silver wheaten cock over wheaten hen: pure silver wheaten daughters and silver wheaten sons: them males will be creamy because they have silver and gold.

These males are not Golden Duckwing.

Saladin.. thanks for the response! I do need some clarification about what you said. The first 2 sentences ,I understand and agree with 100%. The last sentence-which males are not golden duckwing, and why?

Saladin, also, very good to see you posting here!! The pics you added really show the solidness and muscle in your birds that mine surely lack. You can see the heftiness clearly, great photos!!

Cuban Longtails, your hen also looks very strong, wish mine had more of that look of strength!! Nice!!

Welcome aboard to DaveK, if saladin endorses you that strongly, I'm excited to learn from you! Compared to the some of the masters out there, I am just learning. I still have lots left to learn !!​

Back
Top Bottom