Cuckoo Maran Chick - Hemroids, hernia, or possibly impacted!

JennieRD

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 3, 2014
SW Louisiana Calcasieu / Jeff Davis
One of my 1 Month Old Cuckoo Maran Cockerels has feather loss and swelling on his rear end (I don't want to offend anyone) But I really need to find a solution quick. He is not running fever, has a good appetite, drinks well, eyes are clear and very active. I don't know if its a case of picking, or something more serious. I haven't seen this in young chicks, only older ones of breeding age who might pick at a flock mate. Any sugestions? I've separated him from his mates and placed him near one of my older hens to keep him calm. The white you see in the last pic is only feathering, he just now getting all his feather in and losing his baby coat.

It looks like a prolapsed vent. He needs to be removed from the flock for his safety, so they don't peck him (it looks like they have been doing that already.) Soaking his vent area in warm epsom salts make clean it and help with inflammation. Clean the area, and apply honey, sugar, or Preparation H ointment. Try lubricating it, and push it back inside, since the longer the prolapsed tissue is sticking out, the more it will dry out and it can die. Make sure that he gets plenty to drink, since it can be caused by constipation in cockerels. Since it occurs more in hens, most of the info is on how to treat them. When he goes back to the flock, make sure that he is healed, and use of an anti-pick lotion may be helpful. Here is some information: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic.html

Last edited:
Eggcessive, just wanted to thank you again for the post.. My little Roo is doing much better. First go around was fun with the warm epsom salts bath he looked like a blue jay fluttering in a bird bath. But he did really enjoy the being held and wrapped in a towel..Surprised me as he was such a flightly little fellow. Fell asleep in my arms. Second go around he handled like a pro almost like that's what he wanted to do, take a nice warm bath. He wasn't to happy with the PH but he made do with it. After a few days, now he ready for me to take him out of the cage and hold him while ducks his head for a scratch on the head and neck

He looks great, redness is gone, swelling is almost completely gone, but I think I keep him away from the others for a least a week or so longer. He's doing to good to back slide.

You're welcome, and I'm glad to hear he is better. You might let him have some supervised visits with his old gang just to keep them all familiar with one another. You don't want him to get picked on when he goes back with them. Another idea would be to put him in a little cage near the others so that he is part of the flock.

Back
Top Bottom