Culling cockerels

horsewishr

Songster
12 Years
Jul 7, 2007
West Michigan
For those of you who have had to cull cockerels, how hard is it to get rid of them, if you don't want to butcher them yourself. If I offered them Free on Craigslist, do you think some hungry person would come and get them??

I listed one on craigslist... I only had one response, from someone who was looking to keep the poor guy in a parakeet cage and wanted to teach him to 'sing'.. she didn't have any other chickens. (no offense to people with house chickens here.. have 3 myself).

Needless to say, I still have the little guy, and not sure what I'm going to do with him.

I know other people have had good luck with CL though. You can also try freecycle.

Meghan

That's what a lot of people do around here, too...we have a lot of Amish near us and there are three auction yards in our area that my son and his friends patronize to either buy new stock or get rid of surplus. They don't all get eaten,either...yesterday my son took me to one for my first experience...a young girl and her Father bought a little roo and took it home with her cradling it in her arms. They didn't really say, but my guess was that that roo would have a good home and not end up on the dinner table! Sometimes you can get some good stock there... and a variety of breeds, like we did yesterday...just quarantine em if you're going to buy any. The only problem with auctions is sometimes you have to worry about roosters going to people who want to do cockfighting...that's a problem we don't want to have to think about, so we don't take our stock there to sell.

in the past week i've had three successful "hits" off craig's list. i live in the los angeles area though so perhaps that's a factor.
maybe try an "exciting" heading like, "gorgeous roos are looking for love" or some other catchy thing. i find that it's all in the heading on craig's list.
good luck!

Back
Top Bottom