Cup o' Joe and Tea Too

You're all up and out of here, I'm sure. But there was still some coffee left, so I grabbed a cup. Thanks Sean! Grabbed a burrito too. So good I had to look up a recipe!

So, I found a recipe for Tejano Guisada, and printed it! Also for Tejano Pintos. I'll be making this sometime later in the week, since we have burritos already planned tonight using leftover Italian beef.

What scares me is how I can't do what I used to, only a few years ago.

I feel that as we age we feel like we can still do anything we want to. Then all of a sudden we try to something and find out we can't do it any more. It takes us twice as long to do the job which upsets us.

We all need to stop and assess our abilities. What do I want to do? How can I get it done? How long is it going to take me to do a task? How much help am I going to need?

None of us want to admit to all of this. My husband is one of those, and he has had a stroke.

Last edited:
I feel that as we age we feel like we can still do anything we want to. Then all of a sudden we try to something and find out we can't do it any more. It takes us twice as long to the job which upsets us.

We all need to stop and assess our abilities. What do I want to do? How can I get it done? How long is it going to take me to do a task? How much help am I going to need?

None of us want to admit to all of this. My husband is one of those, and he has had a stroke.
I am happy to accept help, and I seek it out . For example, I get staff to load my feed onto the carts, and then into my truck. But when I get home, it is up to me because my husband has a very bad back. Scoliosis and a titanium rod in his neck. It hurts him all the time. I don't know how he stands it.
I have started leaving most of the feed in the truck. If I open the bags and fill buckets from there, then I can later lift the lighter bags. But it takes a lot more walking that way.
I have plans to get rid of most of the quail, all of the turkeys and many of the rabbits.

I feel that as we age we feel like we can still do anything we want to. Then all of a sudden we try to something and find out we can't do it any more. It takes us twice as long to the job which upsets us.

I'm just figuring this all out. I'm still at the point of thinking I can do it, and then I'm so sore and exhausted I can't even stand to cook dinner. I'm trying to look at tasks and how to break them down into more than one day. For example, I clean my coops (4) every day now, then there is not big cleaning day. The cleaning takes about 15 minutes instead of the 45 minutes it would take a couple times a week.
I am happy to accept help, and I seek it out . For example, I get staff to load my feed onto the carts, and then into my truck. But when I get home, it is up to me because my husband has a very bad back. Scoliosis and a titanium rod in his neck. It hurts him all the time. I don't know how he stands it.
I have started leaving most of the feed in the truck. If I open the bags and fill buckets from there, then I can later lift the lighter bags. But it takes a lot more walking that way.
I have plans to get rid of most of the quail, all of the turkeys and many of the rabbits.
I would hire help, but no one will come out here to work. It's too far. And the kids that live around here have their own farms to run or chores to do. Luckily, DH can still haul the bags for me. I still seem to do a lot of walking back and forth, but that has to do with forgetting I was supposed to bring water with me or some such dumb thing. :lol:

I'm just figuring this all out. I'm still at the point of thinking I can do it, and then I'm so sore and exhausted I can't even stand to cook dinner. I'm trying to look at tasks and how to break them down into more than one day. For example, I clean my coops (4) every day now, then there is not big cleaning day. The cleaning takes about 15 minutes instead of the 45 minutes it would take a couple times a week.
I would hire help, but no one will come out here to work. It's too far. And the kids that live around here have their own farms to run or chores to do. Luckily, DH can still haul the bags for me. I still seem to do a lot of walking back and forth, but that has to do with forgetting I was supposed to bring water with me or some such dumb thing. :lol:
I made watering stations in each area, one for Turkey Town and one for the barnyard. There is a table to scrub waterers and fill jugs. There is a hose running to each area. When I fill all the waterers, I also fill the jugs so I have water even if the hose is off. My green tea comes in jugs so I have plenty of them. The hose is only on when I am using it to avoid wearing out our well pump.

I get the staff to help load my cart and accompany me to the truck. I have all the feed put in the backseat of my truck so it doesn't get wet if it rains.

I have hired a "Yard Girl" that works when I call her. She mows the grass, weed eats, works in my chicken coop when I need help, she moves the feed from my truck to the screen room, and she opens the bags and fills my containers. If I need her to do anything she will do it. She dug a trench for my husband for electric lines.

I don't know what we would without her.

I made watering stations in each area, one for Turkey Town and one for the barnyard. There is a table to scrub waterers and fill jugs. There is a hose running to each area. When I fill all the waterers, I also fill the jugs so I have water even if the hose is off. My green tea comes in jugs so I have plenty of them. The hose is only on when I am using it to avoid wearing out our well pump.
I have that in the summer, but in the winter all outdoor hoses are turned off and disconnected to prevent freezing hoses and pipes. My chickens are nearly 300' from the nearest water source in our garage in the winter, so I try to just remember to bring it with me. :D

I get the staff to help load my cart and accompany me to the truck. I have all the feed put in the backseat of my truck so it doesn't get wet if it rains.

I have hired a "Yard Girl" that works when I call her. She mows the grass, weed eats, works in my chicken coop when I need help, she moves the feed from my truck to the screen room, and she opens the bags and fills my containers. If I need her to do anything she will do it. She dug a trench for my husband for electric lines.

I don't know what we would without her.
I'm a bit envious of that. I've tried for a year and a half to find someone. I was sick for 10 months last year, and except for helpful friends, I couldn't find anyone to come out regularly. I even tried to hire a house cleaner, and did find one, but she did only the bare minimum, in fact, less than i already did even when I was sick. I was hoping they would do the things I couldn't get done. But, no. No one needs work around here. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom