Curious about projects made with feed bags

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by write2caroline, Oct 23, 2010.

1. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    I make Christmas gifts and last year I saw a really cute shopping bag made from feed bags. Which I plan to make.
    But this year Layena made feed bags in Pink and I admit to purchasing Layena for the pink bags. Then I got their scratch for the pretty maroon bags and I also admit to getting the older chicks some unmedicated feed for the pretty yellow bag too!

So then I got to thinking about what else can be made.

I love to share ideas but I am not much of a pattern maker

I was thinking about lining the bags with fabric and making purses for my nieces who are 4, 11, and 12, and My Nephews are really into geo caching and I was thinking about making "geo cache" messenger type bags with pockets for the geo cache swaps and one for the GPS and another for the googled pages or the printed clues, my nephews are 10, 11, and 12.

My Mother in law hates chickens due to being responsible for having to pluck on occassion, feed and care for them as a kid and I guess coming from the city - it was not something she enjoyed but I was still thinking that shopping bags would be a good idea for her and my mom and my sisters in law too.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Caroline

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I use old feed bags (the plastic woven type) as sandbags for winter weight in my truck, I keep a couple that I've cut open flat, folded up and in my truck toolbox as a groundcloth for working under vehicle-----they are damp resistant and slick enough to slide on making it easy to get in tight places. I also keep a stack of them for miscellaneous tote and carry reasons. I've used them as a liner in a cardboard box impressed into service as a brooder box.

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    If you could line it with bubble wrap and cover the bubble wrap with Mylar, maybe you could make lunch bags? Insulated shopping bags for the cold stuff? (not that bag boys know the difference!?!-oh, that is just such another rant.)

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I've got two plastic woven bags of Layena that is just sitting there......not planning on using them except for garbage LOL!

5. piecemaker

piecemaker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Centerville Texas
    I was going to sew a bunch of them together to make a tarp like thing to cover my coop in this winter. Thought it would look much cuter than the blue tarps I used last year. But then I saw the bag some one made on here and that was the end of the tarp thing. I have made bags with catfish food for the guys and a friend has given me alot of cat food bags.

piecemaker

6. Scrummycat

Scrummycat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2009
    The Plains, VA
    I made this today...
    [​IMG]

I think it turned out pretty well. I wanted to do something with the pretty pink bag. I may make some more out of the blue ones.

1 person likes this.
  7. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    I love the idea for my Geocaching stuff! My class made some shopping bags out of feed bags and cat food bags for the Fair following a pattern I got off of here a couple of years ago.

Quote:

8. nifftiness

nifftiness Out Of The Brooder

Ohhh Scrummycat, I love that bag. What a great job. Out here our feed bags are so plain, that pink is so perky I love it!

9. alabama49

alabama49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    east central Alabama
    Now I am going to have to go buy some Layena feed just for that bag!! I love it!

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Wow - Love the bags!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by