Kindness costs nothing ..
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Aug 16, 2014
UK 🇬🇧
My Coop
My Coop
Hi all :frow

So I’ve just hatched some quail. Got a couple with feet problems :( One has one curled foot and the other has both curled. I was hoping to get them straightened out with a boot but on closer inspection it seems the bones are fused where the toes should come off the metatarsus bone? The toes just won’t bend in to the right place and it’s causing them distress with me trying.

Any tips on this much appreciated if there are any or should I just put them out of their misery now & cull?

So I’ve just hatched some quail. Got a couple with feet problems :( One has one curled foot and the other has both curled. I was hoping to get them straightened out with a boot but on closer inspection it seems the bones are fused where the toes should come off the metatarsus bone? The toes just won’t bend in to the right place and it’s causing them distress with me trying.

Any tips on this much appreciated if there are any or should I just put them out of their misery now & cull?
If it looks like nothing can be done to correct the defect....then I would cull. I know it's hard to do but sometimes it's best.
If the others can be corrected with "boots" than that's what I would do. HTH

We’re they incubator hatched? Apparently it’s common with incubator hatched quail. You could try using splints on them.

If it looks like nothing can be done to correct the defect....then I would cull. I know it's hard to do but sometimes it's best.
If the others can be corrected with "boots" than that's what I would do. HTH

So sorry to hear about these feet! If they are already fused, I don't think you can straighten them. If the
birds seem to be in pain or can't get around, eat, etc....culling is probably the best option. I am super sorry! :hugs

Thank you both, one is looking better but the smaller one is starting to look a tad splayed leg too :( Think that’s from how it’s waddling around as they are on a thick bed of shavings. The absolute galling thing is that it’s eating and drinking well and trying it’s absolute best. I’m loathed to do but I’m going to have to bite the bullet.......

We’re they incubator hatched? Apparently it’s common with incubator hatched quail. You could try using splints on them.

Yes they are incubator hatched. These are the only 2 out of 24 that have hatched with bad feet though. I did lose 2 others as well who were weak and just didn’t thrive unfortunately. I’ve tried with tape etc to make it more comfortable but it seems the bones have developed wrong.

Thank you both, one is looking better but the smaller one is starting to look a tad splayed leg too :( Think that’s from how it’s waddling around as they are on a thick bed of shavings. The absolute galling thing is that it’s eating and drinking well and trying it’s absolute best. I’m loathed to do but I’m going to have to bite the bullet.......

Yes they are incubator hatched. These are the only 2 out of 24 that have hatched with bad feet though. I did lose 2 others as well who were weak and just didn’t thrive unfortunately. I’ve tried with tape etc to make it more comfortable but it seems the bones have developed wrong.

Yes apparently it’s usually just 1 or 2 that have curled feet from each lot when it comes to incubator hatched quail. -This is what someone who hatched Chinese quail in an incubator told me.

I am sorry about the feet!

If you were going to eat some of them, see if you can get them up to processing weight.

Don't hatch their eggs though since it could be hereditary

It wouldn’t bother me to eat them so I may give it a go. I just dont want anything to suffer. But it’s a trier and god loves a trier!

Def not hatching any more eggs! I’m going to have to get these a house and will sell their eggs on for eating only though.

Is it too late for pictures ? I never seen feet fused before except in humans (mermaid syndrome)

Not too late granny, I haven’t bumped anything off yet :)
I will get Charlie to help me tomorrow to get some. Everyone seems to have been too busy to help me of late....

It wouldn’t bother me to eat them so I may give it a go. I just dont want anything to suffer. But it’s a trier and god loves a trier!

Def not hatching any more eggs! I’m going to have to get these a house and will sell their eggs on for eating only though.

Not too late granny, I haven’t bumped anything off yet :)
I will get Charlie to help me tomorrow to get some. Everyone seems to have been too busy help me of late....
I raised up a cross beak cockerel until he was big enough to process. Towards the end I could tell it was getting hard for him but he was not suffering

Back
Top Bottom