Cutting the feed cost of chickens

Well if you're going to show then at least 80% or more of your stock, particularly if they are hatchery stock will be culls and should have taken a trip to camp Kenmore before they reach 6 months.

Good luck.

Well, besides using a no spill / no waste type feeder (several plans for home made versions of these are on this site) you can save money by buying in bulk. My local feed mill sells All Flock, Layer, Grower, Starter, Ect all for about $15 per 50 pound bag.

However, they give bulk discounts for those that buy larger amounts. I couldn't tell you how much of a discount as I've never had a flock of more than 20 or so birds.

If your not close to a feed mill, then you can try for a bulk discount at your local feed store. I know Tractor Supple gives bulk discounts as well. I regularly see people using a specialized lift to take an entire pallet of animal feed out to their pickup.

What are you feeding now, and how many bags do you go through in say, a week, or a month?

Well, besides using a no spill / no waste type feeder (several plans for home made versions of these are on this site) you can save money by buying in bulk. My local feed mill sells All Flock, Layer, Grower, Starter, Ect all for about $15 per 50 pound bag.

However, they give bulk discounts for those that buy larger amounts. I couldn't tell you how much of a discount as I've never had a flock of more than 20 or so birds.

If your not close to a feed mill, then you can try for a bulk discount at your local feed store. I know Tractor Supple gives bulk discounts as well. I regularly see people using a specialized lift to take an entire pallet of animal feed out to their pickup.

What are you feeding now, and how many bags do you go through in say, a week, or a month?
One thing to remember in considering bulk, even with a large flock, buy only what you will feed in about one month. Nutrients degrade with time.

I am feeding a grower ration and going through 50 lb a week but the birds are 5 weeks old and I got 90 give or take

I am feeding a grower ration and going through 50 lb a week but the birds are 5 weeks old and I got 90 give or take

Ok, and that will continue to rise quickly if they are only 5 weeks. How much is this feed in your area?

So now you can shop around for prices and see what the best deals are. You can tell them you'll be buying 300 pounds of feed now, and will be needing even more every month after that. They may even set you up an account where the more you buy, the better rate you get on the feed. I love wheeling and dealing on stuff like this, its fun to get people competing for your business.

Oh and don't let people not take you seriously because of your age. This is just business, age really has nothing to do with it! :wee:thumbsup

Ok, and that will continue to rise quickly if they are only 5 weeks. How much is this feed in your area?

So now you can shop around for prices and see what the best deals are. You can tell them you'll be buying 300 pounds of feed now, and will be needing even more every month after that. They may even set you up an account where the more you buy, the better rate you get on the feed. I love wheeling and dealing on stuff like this, its fun to get people competing for your business.

Oh and don't let people not take you seriously because of your age. This is just business, age really has nothing to do with it! :wee:thumbsup
Feed cost 13 dollars for 50lbs at my local feed mill but my perents are good friends with the owners so I could work out a deal or get sponsored for 4-H.

Back
Top Bottom