Daily Journal: 50-Cornish X chicks from Schlecht

Quote:
You speak too much sense! Sounds like a very good idea that I should embark on... at-least during the day. What I do notice is that at night they seem to pound the feed (between midnight and 8am) -- and that indicates once again they are struggling with the heat.

Is there anyone else here that started chicks born mid-May with heat?

Quote:
You speak too much sense! Sounds like a very good idea that I should embark on... at-least during the day. What I do notice is that at night they seem to pound the feed (between midnight and 8am) -- and that indicates once again they are struggling with the heat.

I started mine with the heat lamp. I picked them up on May 19th. I took it out late last week, so they were about 1.5 weeks old. I just put it back in because the idiots didn't get in out of the rain. They are two weeks old as of yesterday and were just fine without the lamp and outside until tonight's storm. They seem to be so hot in general that I don't think they really need it. I just wanted mine to dry out and not get sick or chilled so I put it back for tonight.

Quote:

I started mine with the heat lamp. I picked them up on May 19th. I took it out late last week, so they were about 1.5 weeks old. I just put it back in because the idiots didn't get in out of the rain. They are two weeks old as of yesterday and were just fine without the lamp and outside until tonight's storm. They seem to be so hot in general that I don't think they really need it. I just wanted mine to dry out and not get sick or chilled so I put it back for tonight.

sassy, what are your avg weights?

Quote:
hummm mine are on chick grower, born May 13th and as of yesterday (16 days old) the sample chicks I weighed have gained an average of 1 pound 3 oz each .... little piggies!

Wow:eek: and I thought my little piggies were doing well. They are averaging 11.5 oz as of yesterday ( 2 wks) The sample ones were 14.9 and 8.8 I assume these are okay numbers. These are the first cornish x's I've done

And here's a silly question.... Do the roo's tail feathers come in sooner than the hen's? It seems my bigger chicks have the tail feathers already and I was assuming them to be the roos. I ordered staight run.

Quote:

sassy, what are your avg weights?

bnentrup, my average weights are 11.5 oz. I will weigh again tomorrow since they looked so much bigger today, lol. I will posts weights again tomorrow. I weighed a large one and a small one yesterday with weights of 15.8 and 8.8

OH I think your onto something with the heat because our temps are generally quite cool at this time of year... I keep the lamp of for them at night because it can go down around 8-10 degrees (around 50 non metric)...

I weighted several last night at 2.75 weeks old.... avarage gain is about a half pound since Sunday.... they are now averaging about 2 pounds! They are almost feathered out but a few still appear to have outgrown even the feathers at this stage.... I really am shocked, I have heard it, I have ready it... but dear god how do these things grown so fast!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Well, even still.. I am watching them grow in front of my eyes as well. It is VERY funny in that we have had a cool spell come yesterday, and I have seen that they are pigging out. I weighed one 2-days ago that was about 7oz and now 10oz. Hmm.. That is CRAZY growth. We are at 68-degree F right now, and they are seeming to be very normal from what I have read about Cornish.

well our co-op coundn't tell me what kind of chicks mine are but from everything I have read dollars to doughnuts they are cornish cross!

I need to find a way to mark them as the one's I already marked are difficult to find... I wonder it I put a blob of nail polish on their combs... would the others pick it off?
hmm.png
... are you marking yours?

Quote:
I am marking with different color sharpies (not red) on the back... easy to find. I have also been using zip ties on the legs, but that was a pain due to them out-growing the leg bands. If I were marking a bunch, I suppose it would be difficult unless I did directional markings etc.

Back
Top Bottom