Daisy seems cold?

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
Daisy was hurt bad on the beak on thanksgiving. She also has bad arthritis. I’ve been treating her with neosporin. Ibuprofen. Just got fish mox because she has a bed sore Doing niacin and vit C. BComplex. Ok. Daisy loves the pond. Today when I went to the barn she was shaking her wings but I thought she was just feeling dirty. Took her to the pond. She only stayed in one minute. Granted it is freezing. She is still shivering. Do I need to use heat lamp, etc. heat pad? I wanted to keep her in the regular barn in a pen with Little Lou. Do they both need brought to the barn attached to my house? It’s only slightly warmer but I could watch closer

My muscovies shiver a bit after getting out of the water, when it's cold out. I don't do anything because they eventually stop after drying off, when it gets below 30F the ducks huddle up at night, in the day they'll swim. I wouldn't be to worried.

Any change in behavior is reason to watch that individual closely. Ducks are well insulated against the cold and cold water should be no problem. Perhaps Daisy is severely undernourished since her beak mishap and isn't taking in enough calories to produce adequate body heat. This would be my guess.

So keeping her warm is necessary while building her back up with high protein foods. Beak injuries are extremely painful, and it's no fun to try to eat. Tofu with Nutri-drench sprinkled over the top is one of my favorite foods for a sick bird as well as soft boiled egg.

I’m going to bring both Little Lou and Daisy into the barn attached to the house..it’s a little warmer. Should I use a heat lamp for part of the day? It’s 24’. I’ll definitely make the eggs and nutridrench ...not sure if I can get tofu during a storm...

Last edited:
Yes, a heat lamp would be good. You'll know these little guys need it if they hunker under it and bliss out. As they gain strength and are able to process food calories again, they will then ignore the heat, so arrange it so they aren't trapped under it.

Sorry you seem to be starting lots of threads and having lots of issues. :hmm
Keep her in If concerned. :frow
It’s been since noon, she’s under heat lamp, with Little Lou, so she’s not alone. She turned down eggs. Haven’t really seen her drink much or eat much. She still shivers. She is a large Pekin...so she has lots of fat and feathers to keep her warm. She was fine yesterday except for the arthritis, beak sores, and bed sore. The bed sore looks great. Beak looks the same. She is not even 1

It’s been since noon, she’s under heat lamp, with Little Lou, so she’s not alone. She turned down eggs. Haven’t really seen her drink much or eat much. She still shivers. She is a large Pekin...so she has lots of fat and feathers to keep her warm. She was fine yesterday except for the arthritis, beak sores, and bed sore. The bed sore looks great. Beak looks the same. She is not even 1
Hopefully she feels better tomorrow.

I can't stress enough how much Poultry Nutri-drench can help jump start a dragging bird. It mainlines the nutrients, and can really turn them around fast.

I can't stress enough how much Poultry Nutri-drench can help jump start a dragging bird. It mainlines the nutrients, and can really turn them around fast.
It’s in her water..I have one bowl in front of her end of the cage and two at the other end. I don’t know how else to get it in her...

Back
Top Bottom