Dang bipeds.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickensbythesea, Jun 9, 2011.

1. chickensbythesea

chickensbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Now, I should preface this with saying we're surrounded by 300+ acres of woods, with one eccentric older neighbor about half way across the forest. Our laneway is a 1/4 mile and only services our homestead.

I put the goats and chickens to range in what we call "the grove", an overgrown pasture that we use as our seasonal entertaining area. We built log benches, brought in a tent and a fire pit, made it a nice spot to hang out. I heard the goats come charging and screaming towards the house, but no real commotion from the chickens. I went out to investigate, and heard a bunch of voices. Even though no one else was home.

I walk over and there are 5 teenage boys dressed in completely hiking/farm inappropriate clothing, opening up my tent, looking in our fire bowl, sitting on our benches, acting slightly curious, but very comfortable going through a stranger's things. My hens were all flushed into the briars on the far side of these kids. I yelled from about 20 feet away (as nicely as one can to people rummaging in their things) "Can I help you?". They just stared at me. I repeat myself, with more force. One of them says "Nah man, we're just hanging out back here". REALLY?! You're in my yard. You're scaring my animals. You're touching my things. LEAVE.

They wandered back into the woods, but the direction they headed off in is a nearly 2 mile hike through untamed, briar filled forest, so I have no idea how they singled out my yard. I can account for all my hens, but it took my flightier birds most of the afternoon to leave the brush. It's quite hot and muggy here, terrible weather to be trapped away from water.... I have no idea what those kids did to upset the chickens and goats so much.

[​IMG] I don't expect they'll be back, but who knows? I wasn't expecting them to show up at all.

2. Love my Critters!

Love my Critters! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Carlsbad, NM
    Oh that is horrible! I hate that some people think they have a right to things that are not theirs... [​IMG] I would keep an eye out because they may come back. Seems like it would have been a hard trech through the woods but if they did it once, they might return. Too bad you don't know who they belong to, i guess they weren't wearing tags [​IMG]

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

To bad you didn't have a camera to document them in case they return

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sadly, kids aren't taught to respect other people or their property anymore. I put that on the parents just as much as the kids. If they return, do you have law enforcement close enough that you can call and turn them in for trespassing? You could post the boundaries of your land, but I don't think it would phase them - not if they were comfortable "hanging out" before.

5. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Walk out with a holstered pistol that they can see or a rifle (not pointed at them). Make it clear (politely) that they SHOULD NOT be on your land without permission. Period.

That's what I would do....

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Quote:And would you be prepared to shoot if the person you were trying to intimidate were armed and decided to shoot at you first? NEVER carry a gun just for show. It escalate the situation. If you carry one, be ready to use it.

7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    that's why I love having big dogs. People find the boys intimidating enough that they don't want to mess with them.

8. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Yep, big dogs with lots of sharp teeth!

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    First, assume that they are ignorant, but basically harmless, and tell them they are trespassing on private property. If there is nearby public land, direct them to it. If your polite instructions are ignored, or answered in an inappropriate manner, be prepared to take things to the next level and call the police/sheriff.

Quite frankly, if you have a firearm, and are well trained in its use, carrying it can

1) provide protection if needed and
    2) put a mighty big scare into the trespassers. But yes, do not carry it unless you are willing to use it should it become necessary.

10. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    I AM trained to use a firearm. And yes, I would be willing to fire if things did escalate to it. They are trespassing. I'm not saying I would just walk out yelling and shooting. BUT I don't have any faith in LEOs.

Flame away....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by