d'anver lovers,discuss the breed and post some pics!

Hi,
I've been reading some of this thread and wanted to post a picture of my d'Anvers roo. Perhaps one of the experts here could give me an idea of his quality? I know he is a hatchery bird and probably not of the proper proportions for show, but he's a sweetie. Of course, he's just started trying to mount the hens, so his personality may change (hope not!)
This is Ivan, 19 week old Belgian Quail d'Anvers roo:

Welcome, tamberlin. It has been kind of slow on here so I will give you my opinion, but there are people who know alot more than I do. His type is pretty good, could stand to be a little thicker looking in the neck, but he is still young and they change alot in the second six months. His comb looks good too,but his beard needs to be fuller if it hasn't been picked out by other chickens. His color is alittle off, too light all over. His breast should be about the color of his saddle hackles and everything else should be a little darker.But over all not too bad for a hatchery bird. With some good hens you should be able to get some good chicks. But it's only my opinion.

jj

Welcome to BYC! I am not even qualified to give you my opinion on your boy as I got into d'Anvers because of one little rooster aka My Little Love, Rufus. The other reason I am not qualified...I breed for oddities because that is all I seem to get here....I am the mother of The Hairy Legged Horde!

You boy is a handsome one from my view and even if his disposition changes...their "flogging" and "love taps" are really laughable...half of the time you do not even realize you were attacked...no worse than a pesky group of mosquitos. hehehehehe

Last edited:
Here are a couple of updated pictures of Ace, 13 weeks, from outside the pen. Aubrey has a burning hatred of the camera so it's hard to take pictures without his interference. Ace, however, is a love right now, as you can see. He acts like a temperament-cross between Rufus and Angus. Makes me wonder whose son he really is with Carly. Wish his comb was less smooth, but I honestly prefer him to be a calm tempered male more than anything, especially since the heat is making me nuts right now and I have little patience for crazy men, LOL.

**forgive the feathers in the pen-my Cochin hen exploded over the last few days in her big molt. I've gathered a ton, but they just keep on coming.

Last edited:
Thanks!
Ivan has been one of the sweetest chickens I've had in my 3 years of having chickens. He knows my voice and crows when he hears me. Which is going to get him into trouble, since we are not supposed to have roosters here. He's definitely slow in growing his beard and muffs, the other male in our batch grew them much more quickly...
He has had a sudden testosterone spurt in the last few days. I caught him trying to mount a Black Copper Marans hen that is about 4x bigger than he is. He got put in his place pretty quickly!
Can you tell me at what age he would be fertile? Before I have to give him away, i might just be able to get some fertile eggs.... here's hoping anyway.

Yeah cyn my mille fleur has got a really smooth comb as well as my brown red
Project roo has a really nubby bumpy comb lol
My porcelains a pullet so no comb yet
All came from aubreys eggs
Aubreys seems to have dissapeared lol but hey aubrey will my mille fleur have a
Flat comb when he matures or will he get bumpy later on?

I got pictures! Here is some of my BBB birds.

Brown red pullet

BB red pullet

Buff columbian pullet

Crele pullet

Dun roo

Crele roo

White pullet from silver quail egg

Silver quail (maybe columbian ?) roo

Black roo's

Self blue roo

Back
Top Bottom