Dark Brahma eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchickenmommy, Jul 20, 2011.

1. newchickenmommy

newchickenmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Ramsey, MN
    I bought two Dark Brahma chicks mid-March. They were just a few days old when I got them. They are 4 months old. I also got 2 Buff Orphington's and 2 Rhode Island Reds that were about same age then, so they all grew up together. Happy little chicken family.

Yesterday, I went to give them water when I got home from work, and there was the smallest, cute little egg in the nest. The first egg for any of my new chicks. We laughed and called it a fart because it is just slightly larger than a quarter, but perfectly formed. Cute right. [​IMG] But today, I went out and looked and sure enough, another perfect, little egg, and I do mean little.

Now, what comes to mind, is that I was told that Dark Brahma hens lay smallish eggs. I am hoping THIS isn't the norm, and smallish doesn't mean so small you have to crack 6 of them to make the equivalent of 1 large egg! This is my first experience with Dark Brahma's and I really don't know what to expect as far as egg size goes. They are probably one of the most beautiful chickens I have have ever seen, but if this is the size of their eggs, I would rather have an average looking, large egg layer. I HOPE that this is just what they are now because they are still young.

Can anyone tell me what size a Dark Brahma's eggs are supposed to be? I am including a picture of the eggs. They are cute, but....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Are you sure it was your Dark Brahma? I've got three Brahmas (two buffs, one dark) that were hatched on March 11th. I still haven't seen an egg from them yet.

I may be your Buff orpington? I was told that the first couple eggs always start out small, then ramp up fast. But this is my first time too!

3. newchickenmommy

newchickenmommy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Ramsey, MN
    Well, I guess I am assuming it is the Dark Brahma because I saw her sitting on the nest today, but I guess I really am not sure. It could have been anyone! I will have to keep a better eye on them if I can. I was at work when whoever left their little gift!

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Most all hens lay small eggs to start with. They do get larger.

Four months old is very early for a brahma egg. Most of my brahmas were 6 months old or older before they laid for the first time. Two of my dark brahmas were 9 1/2 months old.

My brahma girls are now more than three years old, still laying well and their eggs are very large; not super long but very fat. They lay all year round.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by