Dark Comb (blueish purple) UPDATE & PICS

drdolittle

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 25, 2010
Downeast
One of my hens has a bluish purple-ish comb. It started at just the tips an has gotten darker and now almost all of the comb is this dark color. I read that the comb discoloration is a sign of the birds air/heart function.... She doesn't sound sick. The past day or two she does look worse and is standing in the stand of trees more kinda puffed up. I haven't seen her eat and when I felt for her crop tonight- i couldn't feel anything. She has been having diarrhea- kinda thick yellowish (like the pellet grain is) and it's sticking to her rear. She's at least two years old & is a rhode island red. i got her & some others over a year ago. Her comb was fine till recently although when I got them they had undiagnosed lice & cocci. Any idea what's wrong or what I an do?
I will try to take a photo tomorrow.

Last edited:
47760_100_1052.jpg

47760_100_1061.jpg

47760_100_1033.jpg

47760_100_1054.jpg

Some photos from this morning. I also noticed her eyes are usually half shut and tail feathers are usually down. She an walk fine but prefers not to and doesn't really run away/ is slow. I caught her and felt her abdomen- it is very warm/hot, large and soft almost squishy. I caught another for comparison and she is definitely warmer, larger & softer. I felt gently but could not feel an egg. She does like to just sit usually under the trees or in the coop. Dropping wise I noticed a tiny bit of green mixed in stuck to her feathers but I did notice her eat some greens today so it could be food? I didn't see her eat pellets or drink but I was interrupted who by our neighbors dogs who have been getting a few of the girls so there is a history or stress from them.

Last edited:
Anyone? Come on BYC I know you have it in you!

Oh and I think this chk maybe was the one who was broody- after two weeks or so of refusing to budge or eat and basically starving her self she suddenly left her nest in the goat barn and now isn't broody. I'm not positive in anyway that they are the one and the same but it is a possibility. Mostly its her messy bottom that makes me think that....

Back
Top Bottom