Dark Cornish One eye closed

Mellthatcher

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
I have a Dark Cornish around 6 months of age and I noticed yesterday that she was standing around with one eye closed and one open. I wasn’t too sure if I was being paranoid and maybe something was bothering her but I noticed it again today.
Her behavior is still fairly normal, she is wandering around with the flock, eating, drinking, and seems to be pooping okay.
Just every now and again she stands around with one eye closed.

Attachments

• 8501B40D-FEB1-460E-A78F-EB9E2046895F.jpeg
    8501B40D-FEB1-460E-A78F-EB9E2046895F.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 7EECEB71-50F6-4C82-9F0E-273B070DBA99.jpeg
    7EECEB71-50F6-4C82-9F0E-273B070DBA99.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DCC7B7AE-3A5D-4E9A-A901-9B5D32A5D024.jpeg
    DCC7B7AE-3A5D-4E9A-A901-9B5D32A5D024.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 6
Can you gather her up and inspect the eye closely to see if she had debris, pus or injury to the eye?
It may need to be cleaned - flush with saline.
Possibly she's gotten dirt in it or she was pecked.

While you have her up, give her a going over for lice/mites, take note of any symptoms of wheezing, mucous from the nostrils, etc. There's always a chance a closed eye could be the beginning symptom of something more serious like respiratory illness.

I can do my best but she is VERY skittish and doesn’t usually let me touch her. Tomorrow I will try to see if I can get close enough to further examine the eye.

I can do my best but she is VERY skittish and doesn’t usually let me touch her. Tomorrow I will try to see if I can get close enough to further examine the eye.
Go out early while it's still dark and she's roosting. Take a towel with you. Grab her off the roost and lightly swaddle her in the towel capturing her wings to her body. This makes it easier to control her.

update -
So we were able to give her eye medication at night, we applied it every night for a while but it just didn’t seem like it was improving anything. She still stands around with one eye closed and still seems like she’s struggling. She’ll get lost from the flock or left behind and she’ll stay by herself. She’ll stand in one spot with her eyes closed if she loses the flock. It seems like she can’t see out of that eye.
I was hoping to see improvement over the last couple weeks but it just seems like she’s getting worse. A couple days ago I noticed that her poop is very yellow. Still the consistency of normal poop but instead of white it’s really yellow. I’m really worried about her and not sure what to do anymore.

She is still eating and drinking like normal and roosting with the flock. Her behavior is still quite normal besides for the times where she can’t keep up with flock and ends up on her own. She just seems to be sleeping more often.
I was able to get in touch with a vet who is familiar with chickens and they believe that it is coccidiosis. We will be getting some Amprolium today to administer to the flock. Hopefully we caught it in time and we will be able to help her.

We’ve been giving the chickens Corid for four days now. I still haven’t seen any improvement in her and now I am worried that maybe we misdiagnosed. Her poop is still very yellow and I am not finding the same look on any forums to see what it could possibly be.

Attachments

• B36A803D-0784-4086-ABA8-E0B9C45912D1.jpeg
    B36A803D-0784-4086-ABA8-E0B9C45912D1.jpeg
    717.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom