Dark grey lesion on rooster wattle

Cathy L

In the Brooder
Apr 16, 2020
Just noticed it yesterday. Thumbnail size discoloring on wattle. Rooster is 20 weeks old. He has some molting going on to side of neck area. His breathing seems slightly labored, but not sure. Eating well, maybe too much. Possibly overweight. Had Mareks vaccine.

I will go take a pic. Its not that cold for frostbite. We are in NC near Raleigh. Moderate temps.
Thank you for responding so quickly to my concern.

Here is Babes picture with the lesion

Attachments

• 0924201903_HDR.jpg
    0924201903_HDR.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 18
Here is Babes picture with the lesion
It does look like dirt or maybe a scab. Try wetting the tip of a q tip & rub it overtop of whatever that is & see if it’ll come off.
Looks like your boy has a big comb like my boy, we live in Sylva NC, about 45 mins from Asheville. It’s not just the temps that will cause frostbite, it will be moisture build up + the temperature inside the coop. This is my first year with chickens, so I’m learning as I go. Make sure to rub some Vaseline onto his comb if it’s supposed to be a cold night. My roo had a touch of frostbite on the very back of his comb so that’s what I’ve been doing for him & my other big comb bantam roo. 😊

It does look like dirt or maybe a scab. Try wetting the tip of a q tip & rub it overtop of whatever that is & see if it’ll come off.
Looks like your boy has a big comb like my boy, we live in Sylva NC, about 45 mins from Asheville. It’s not just the temps that will cause frostbite, it will be moisture build up + the temperature inside the coop. This is my first year with chickens, so I’m learning as I go. Make sure to rub some Vaseline onto his comb if it’s supposed to be a cold night. My roo had a touch of frostbite on the very back of his comb so that’s what I’ve been doing for him & my other big comb bantam roo. 😊
Thank you so much. My 1st year also and lots to learn. Now dealing with a blood feather, UGH

Back
Top Bottom