Day 10: Tell us how your hens like their Oyster Strong™ System feed. *To be eligible to win you must

All of my girls love it! And they're constantly laying eggs ever since I started feeding them Layena omega-3. I always put out a dish of crushed oyster shells, but now it seems like no one ever touches it ever since they started the oyster strong system!

Mine seem to really be enjoying it! Seems to be a bit less waste on the floor of the run and the girls who are laying seem to be even more productive. I have one that's sitting on some eggs now! She's never done that before, but I can't say it's related to the food. We also have some new layers that are producing beautiful eggs.

My girls can't wait for me to feed them. They love their Layena pellets. I have an old aracauna that is about 7 and she is still laying almost every day.

My girls love it! And even a rooster too! Though they are free range, they won't go to the woods if I won't make their food. I make it by putting water on pellets. They don't eat dry, I didn't use crumbles because they can scratch it and it'll be lots of waste. I place it outside along with the waterer for them easy to access. When they come home from hunting bugs, they just dig in to that bowl of Purina layena pellets!

My girls love it. I only have 4 hens laying age right now but they empty the feeder of the layena nuggets everyday. They produce 2 to 3 healthy, good looking eggs everyday. Would not use any other brand. Thanks.
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

My girls don't like this feed. They scratch it out of their feed pans and have slowed from 9 to 11 eggs a day to 5 or 6 eggs a day. The eggs have a chalky appearance as opposed to the usual pretty glossy look. I have finished one large bag for my 17 hens (14 laying) and have switched back to Nutrena.
We are sorry to hear you had a negative experience. Please call us at 1-800-227-8941 so we can discuss with you. Thank you.

I am not posting to win anything here.
smile.png
Just for the sake of this topic.

Just yesterday I switched over from another large brand name poultry feed to Purina Layena Oyster Strong crumbles. For health reasons, I didn't think my birds were doing well on this "other" name brand feed, so I decided to take the plunge to Purina brand feeds. In the past I had tried the Sunfresh layer feed on my flock and nobody ate it. No matter how much I adulterated it with a bit of water, tasty treats or even some scratch thrown in, they weren't going to touch it. So I was a bit skeptical about the Oyster Strong feed.

However even yesterday, on their first day with this new feed, they did some nibbling and by the end of the day were eating in a fair way, considering this was a new taste for them and by nature, chickens are leary of new things. I highly expected to see diarrhea under the roost bar this morning as new feed changes can upset the digestive tract. I also chose not to mix in the old feed into the new to allow for less digestive distress or just to get them to eat it. However the poops were all nice and dry, nice color and perfect sized white caps on top.

Today they are diving in a bit more and seem to have taken to the new tastes. I won't know how well the egg shells turn out until this feeds calcium works its way into their system. However I have a few of birds that have been having trouble putting a hard shell on. (one is an old hen and the other 2 are recovering from illness) I have been giving them human Caltrate which does allow for a nice shell to be put on however today I will skip the Caltrate and see if this new feed makes a difference in their ability to put a shell on.

So far I am liking this new feed but most of all, the hens seem to enjoy it too! (I will keep you posted on the egg shell thickness and quality!
wink.png
)

Our hens really like the Purina Layena Oyster Strong feed and come running when they see me refilling their feeders. I was a bit scared to try a different brand of feed as I had recently changed from Payback to Nutrena. I don't think it was the fault of Nutrena but the girls just would not eat it! It may have been that the pellets were a bit bigger than the Payback pellets that they were used to. I'm not sure what they didn't like. But anyway, switching to Purina was NOT a problem and they started eating it right away.
I am also feeding Purina to our pullets. They get Purina Start & Grow feed and they love it! Not only that, but they are all growing nicely.
Thank you Purina!

Back
Top Bottom