Day 14 candling results. Will my bad luck... **Hatch Complete! PICS**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gumpsgirl, Jul 14, 2008.

1. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Grrrrrr... Will my bad luck ever end??? Mercy! Out of 15 Welsummer eggs, I have 6 left in the bater. Those I'm not 100% certain will be any good. They are just to dark to see any chick moving around in. The other 9, I could tell were clear or had blood rings so I'm assuming since I can't see anything but dark in the other 6 there is a chick growing. Fingers crossed anyways! There are 4 bantam eggs that are good and 2 are questionable. I think the chicks in those 2 are dead, but I'm leaving them in the bator just in case. I have 2 Amerecauna eggs that are good and 1 questionable, 3 Wyandottes, and 1 mystery egg. I had to toss 21 eggs that were either clear or had blood rings in them. Sheesh! I've never had this bad of luck. With all of my chicks and chickens currently sick, I was hoping for a little better hatch just incase I loose to many. I've lost 15 so far. [​IMG] Will it ever end?!?! I guess I should really be relieved by those results. That is less to have to worry about, but to be honest with you, I was really hoping for much better. Especially with those Welsummer eggs. [​IMG] The Welsummer eggs were the only shipped eggs. The rest I got locally. Oh well...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    This is day 15 for me. 12 buff and 12 white Orpingtons. I'm worried and feel quite clueless. I only candled a couple at a time. So as not to interrupt the incubation process. BUT.....I too am very worried about my hatch! So I feel for ya. We're both in the same boat buddy! [​IMG]

3. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I will cross my fingers for you chickfillhay! Maybe it's not as bad as you fear it is. [​IMG]

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Awe, hang in there. It's so hard to tell on those gorgeous dark eggs!

5. chickfillhay

chickfillhay Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Berlin Nh
    UMM! What day is this? Is this the 20? or the 13th? I think I lost an entire week? Maybe that's why I might not be seeing what I expect to see! [​IMG]

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Be REAL careful about those with "bloodrings". Sometimes they are the bottom part of the vein network and really aren't bloodrings at all. With most true bloodrings, the egg is otherwise clear...you shouldn't be able to see anything at all.

7. gumpsgirl

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I know what you're saying. The blood rings usually go through about the middle of the egg and then the rest of the egg is clear. That's what I've got. [​IMG] You do need to be careful with that. You're right! That is also the reason that I wait until day 14 before I toss any eggs. By then, you know for certain if there is a chick in the egg or not. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  8. ezbird

ezbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Next time bless your eggs before you put them in the bator, [​IMG]. Kidding. Sorry to hear your situation. Hopefully the remainder will hatch, just leave them alone as much as possible.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Grrrrrr... Will my bad luck ever end???

Yes, it will. Just when remains to be seen, and that's the hard part. You know you have a set coming from me whenever you say, as soon as the birds stop molting, of course. I want them in prime condition for you to insure they will be at optimal hatchability.​

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yes, it will end.

Hang in there.

It will get better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by