Day 18 and peeping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Daniel1974, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Daniel1974

Daniel1974 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    Summerville SC
    I have 15 RIR's in my bator and there peeping and a few have cracks at 18 day how is this? All Eggs seem to be moving and ready to hatch, Can they hatch early?

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

if you were running your bator a bit warm - say a constant 100.5, you will get an early hatch. Just make sure you have cranked up the humidity

good luck

3. Daniel1974

Apr 1, 2012
    Summerville SC
    Thank you so much I have removed them from the turner and got humidity about 60% , There still in the eggs peeping loud and proud lol. I had the temp set around 99.5 but its been a little cold here so i did move it up a little to 100.5 so the cold would off set. Hope to have chicks in a few days and my silks are laying right now for the hatch along. I love my birds [​IMG] Thanks again!

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

you should have chicks tonight or tomorrow. they will need to externally pip to keep chirping

good luck

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    it depends on the size of your eggs and how much heat you are using, but chicks just starting to hatch take many days. first the peck the hole and rest, getting their lungs used to air, then they also have to take time to absorb their yolk, so they still need time in the egg, some chicks are totally out by day 20 some hatch at day 19, it is important to just wait and see, and don't rush the hatch. they will come out in their own sweet time. congrats![​IMG]

6. Daniel1974

Apr 1, 2012
    Summerville SC
    Within 15 min I just had 3 hatch the rest are trying but still some time on them i think! Can't wait hope i have a 100% Hatch and all healthy thanks all for the Help!

7. Daniel1974

Apr 1, 2012
    Summerville SC
    I have the three chicks hatched and there making the other eggs roll around is this ok? Or should i add them to a brooder? Thanks

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Leave them in there. Dont take them out till they are dry and fluffy and no eggs areexternally pipped. The scareyou more than the other eggs. . You will effect humidity by opening the bator.

9. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I think the peeping and the moving of the eggs about causes the chick in the egg to want to try harder to get out.

10. Daniel1974

Apr 1, 2012
    Summerville SC
    All chicks have hatched and are looking good thanks for all your help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by