Day 19 pip, middle of egg

McKennA

Songster
8 Years
Feb 12, 2014
Have a chick that external pipped this morning at 9:40AM, right in the middle of the egg, not near the air cell. I am wondering about the chick's position, and ability to get out on it's own. It hasn't made much progress. I am going to wait until tomorrow to step in, since it's so early. But I was wondering if others have had successful hatches when chicks pip in the middle of the egg.

Last edited:
I've had three eggs that pipped in the center of the egg. Two of them survived and currently live a healthy life, but I had to help them. The third I decided not to help, and it ended up not hatching. There's a great article somewhere around here about helping chicks hatch, as well and when and why. I'll see if I can find it.

Can you see any blood? Is the beak or any membrane exposed, or is it still covered by broken shell?

If you do decide to help it, wait until the others start pipping. The chick intended this to be the internal pip, but missed the air cell. There is likely still yolk and veins for them to absorb.

Thanks diamondsilkies, that helps a lot, because I was thinking that the miss was going to be a problem. I don't see any blood, I can see a little bit of the membrane it is bright white. I can see her breathing with the movement of the shell pieces. She will chirp if I chirp to her. I can see the very tip of her beak. I successfully assisted a chick last year, who is a happy healthy chicken today, in fact we are hatching one of hers this year.

Yes, that makes sense. I have another side pip today, ugh. Anybody have any ideas, thoughts, theories, about why they side pip? In my current situation, it seems to be the larger eggs. Two different breeds, two different incubators.

Yes, that makes sense. I have another side pip today, ugh. Anybody have any ideas, thoughts, theories, about why they side pip? In my current situation, it seems to be the larger eggs. Two different breeds, two different incubators.
They can't get turned around right, not sure why.
Have had more than a few, most make it out OK, some need assisting.

Just wanted to update. "Pippy" is out, and seems to be doing well. We did assist, in hindsight, I feel like we could have waited. Assisting too early is a legitimate concern, and was something that I worried about, and still do. It is a judgement call with every hatch I suppose. We took some of the shell off, so she could move a little, and get some leverage. Even though we wet the membrane, it dried out pretty quickly, and then she was stuck again. Mostly out, but the back part of the shell was stuck tight. She looked like a chick turtle. I will try the coconut oil next time. The other side pip, is making some progress on her own, so I am going to leave her alone.

Just wanted to update. "Pippy" is out, and seems to be doing well. We did assist, in hindsight, I feel like we could have waited. Assisting too early is a legitimate concern, and was something that I worried about, and still do. It is a judgement call with every hatch I suppose. We took some of the shell off, so she could move a little, and get some leverage. Even though we wet the membrane, it dried out pretty quickly, and then she was stuck again. Mostly out, but the back part of the shell was stuck tight. She looked like a chick turtle. I will try the coconut oil next time. The other side pip, is making some progress on her own, so I am going to leave her alone.
It is, indeed.
Coconut oil is best and keeping the humidity cranked,
humidifying the room is great if it's easy to do.

Well, unfortunately our other side pipper didn't make it. This morning we didn't see the beak in the hole, or any movement. When we started opening it up, it looks as though the chick turned away from the hole at some point during the night, and suffocated? That's our best guess. A fully developed, ready to hatch, pretty big, boy/girl. :(

Back
Top Bottom