1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Day 20 and still no peeps

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dddCT, Aug 20, 2008.

1. dddCT

dddCT Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Durham, CT
    I am on day 20 with my first hatch and I'm not seeing anything. I thought I saw an egg rock but nothing now. What exactly does it look like when people say "pip"?

I know everyone says to be patient but that's like bailing water with a spoon right now. When should I start getting more worried than I am right now.

2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    This is a pip

( this is a pics from my very first hatch )

[​IMG]

everything should be fine... if nothing happens on day 21 then candle the eggs on day 22 and see whats up... if you see movement or hear peeps then put them back in the bator but even if not i would still put them back in the bator and leave them in there till day 23 or 24 just to make sure [​IMG]

what is your temp and humidity?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    The pip is when they first break through the shell, and you see a little chip in the egg. From that point it could take 15 minutes or 3 days... just be patient and make sure your humidity is up to 65-75%. The "zipping" is when they take that pip and start cracking the shell around the airsac to create their escape hatch. [​IMG]
    I don't even expect to see pips until the end of the 21st day, sometimes the 22nd if I had any low temps in there.
    What day and time did you set the eggs?

4. dddCT

Jul 28, 2008
    Durham, CT
    we set the eggs at 7:45 pm on July 31st. I don't see any chips in the eggs yet but my hubby says he sees a lot of rocking. I can't watch. It's making me batty.

We have the 2 week old chicks in the brooder in the same room so I can hear anything except them so I cant even tell if they're peeping or not

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Then, yeah, I wouldn't expect to see any pips until tomorrow late, maybe Friday. [​IMG] Don't worry! As long as they're rocking, they're still alive! Just keep yourself occupied!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  6. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Patience my friend..... I know it's tough.

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    yup yup Patience's thats why the first 2 days off the turners i stay at the river fishing to keep my self away from the bator..lol

8. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I'm right there with you on day 20, almost day 21. Out of the 12 eggs that look good I have 6 pips. No zips yet.

Come on chickies!!

9. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    day 20 here also im glad for no pips yet i hear some peeping though so my temps have been good yayyyy good luck to all. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. dddCT

Jul 28, 2008
    Durham, CT
    I'm seeing what looks like "pieces of styrofoam" on some of the eggs. Is that a pip?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by