Day 23 incubating. No pip

The chick will pip the air sack before it starts to pip externally. If the temperature was on the low side they will probably take longer to hatch. My best results with hatches is to have the humidity around 75% during lockdown. Also whether you hand turned or have a turner. You mentioned in one of your posts that you were using a still air incubator (not sure if it's styrofoam). Maybe this thread will help you. It works with most styrofoam incubators. Good luck and have fun ...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/little-giant-incubator-tricks.601352/

Last edited:
Yes its styrofoam. Thank you! I'm planning to buy an actual incubator shortly we are on day 24 now. I have the humidity up around 60.. seems the highest I can get it now. I can get it higher at night since we blast the ac (tx resident here) and I can close up more holes to keep it warm and raise humidity. Otherwise it gets too hot in there. It's such a back and forth game lol.

Do you think what I'm seeing is an internal pip?

I have had chicks hatch out as late as day 25. I think your humidity may be your main problem. Check out the link I posted above. I think it will help you and give you ideas. Put a damp sponge in, anything to get the humidity up more. The chicks need the added humidity to turn in their shells to pip and zip. I have also had some chicks hatch that I marked (X) as quitters.
IMG_20160415_132618.jpg

Back
Top Bottom