Day 23 incubating. No pip

Still air. Temps have been a constant 99-101 about a week in it did drop a couple times to about 80 but since then no issues. Yes I've candled and right before lock down I did again and was barely able to see movement and marked the air cells which seemed average from pictures I've looked at online. I removed 2 infertile eggs and one that sadly stopped developing.

So the temp was probably low, since for still air you really want it to be 101.5 measured at the top of the eggs. With a low temperature and especially with a time that the temperature dipped down into the 80's, the hatch is now late. Also, are these temps coming from a built in display on the incubator, or are you using a thermometer that you've calibrated and know to be accurate?

The eggs were from my own flock in the yard. We had a rooster then but he was dispatched about 2 weeks ago.

Only way I can get humidity up higher is by putting my small diffuser/humidifier in there and I can get it up to 85. Isnt that too high though?

85% is high. For lockdown 65% will suffice, no need to be higher than that.

It's a homemade incubator and I have 2 thermometers and a hygrometer in there. The thermometers were always reading the same and they were placed by the eggs. I can use the humidifier in there and keep it slightly open so it doesnt get that high and I should be able to get it to around a constant 65.

It's a homemade incubator and I have 2 thermometers and a hygrometer in there. The thermometers were always reading the same and they were placed by the eggs. I can use the humidifier in there and keep it slightly open so it doesnt get that high and I should be able to get it to around a constant 65.

If you have space, you can instead just add a mason jar or baby food jar of water with paper towels or a sponge trailing out of it - that will increase the humidity too. The humidity is determined by how much surface area of water there is in the incubator, so increasing the surface area will increase the humidity. No need for a humidifier :) And the jars are tall enough that the hatching chicks won't end up drowning in them, which can be a concern with an open bowl, etc.

Just a wet paper towel or sponge will work too if you don't have the jars. Just keep them from touching the eggs, since wet stuff in contact with the eggs can chill the babies inside.

Last edited:
I don't understand? Why can't you add something that contains water ?
Be VERY careful adding something with water. DD added a shallow lid with just a film of water in it, thinking she was helping, and her first peep drowned before it could gets its' legs solidly under itself. So sad!
If you need to add something wet (which does help, sometimes) make sure it's just a wet paper towel or napkin. Paper or smooth fabric is better than a washcloth, 'cause terrycloth loops can snag tiny toes and soft nail tips.

Be VERY careful adding something with water. DD added a shallow lid with just a film of water in it, thinking she was helping, and her first peep drowned before it could gets its' legs solidly under itself. So sad!
If you need to add something wet (which does help, sometimes) make sure it's just a wet paper towel or napkin. Paper or smooth fabric is better than a washcloth, 'cause terrycloth loops can snag tiny toes and soft nail tips.
Well that's never happened to me and I've hatched hundreds of baby birds..:frow

My are up above where I had water. Then I filled the entire bottom with water. The only thing that gets humidity up now is my little humidifier. Usually it's not a problem here in tx but it's our cool dry season. But it seems the humidity drops the tempature in there by about 2-3 degrees. Should I float test them for movement? I read all this stuff to test and then keep trying to be patient and leave them be haha

My are up above where I had water. Then I filled the entire bottom with water. The only thing that gets humidity up now is my little humidifier. Usually it's not a problem here in tx but it's our cool dry season. But it seems the humidity drops the tempature in there by about 2-3 degrees. Should I float test them for movement? I read all this stuff to test and then keep trying to be patient and leave them be haha
Leave them or Just candling

I don't really believe in the float test. I've seen too many people crack open an egg that the float test said was 'bad' and it was a perfectly fine live egg. Anything the float test can tell you, candling can tell you just as well. If you want, since you have no pips, you could safely candle the eggs without risking any problems. If you want to candle and post pictures here, we can tell you if they are still alive :)

I don't really believe in the float test. I've seen too many people crack open an egg that the float test said was 'bad' and it was a perfectly fine live egg. Anything the float test can tell you, candling can tell you just as well. If you want, since you have no pips, you could safely candle the eggs without risking any problems. If you want to candle and post pictures here, we can tell you if they are still alive :)

Off to candle and take pictures!!!

Back
Top Bottom