Day 25 what next

suzeqf

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
I have 4 eggs under my banty hen from 4 different hens and one hatched with help yesterday morning after it pipped the day before and i can see no signs of life in the other 3 i've listened and peeped and scratched and candled. Should I try to open them to see if just by some miracle one is still alive but just can't get out. The chicks may be banty/reg size roo crosses could that cause them to have trouble hatching.

I just read that another BYCer listens for a heartbeat with a stethoscope. If you opened a healthy live chick by accident you would feel bad. I would probably open any that didn't have a heartbeat/ movement. That way you would know what to do for the ones that were still alive, maybe?

Quote:
Just a question....why did you help it? The more you left the hen the more humidity you let out. I just leave my girls alone to do their thing. Do you know of all of them were laid at the same time, or did you give them to her?

All eggs were laid the same day I have 4 banty hens that laid in the same nest and Smore's laid last and started sitting on her egg and i put a polish banty egg under the same day the nest went thru a lot in the beginning the big girls decided they wanted to lay and scratch around in it and threw things all around.

The reason I helped the little one hatch was because Smore's was off the nest and having a hissy fit to get out of her enclosure when i went in to let them all out yesterday morning so I took that time to check the egg that had pipped the day before to see if it had made any progress which it hadn't and so i made the small hole a bit bigger and the whole end of the egg caved in so i'm glad i helped out because the poor little thing would have died because the air sac was gone. I would like to remove the other eggs and make her nest chick friendly because as it is right now the chick can't get in and out of it

Back
Top Bottom