Day 31 and still no chicks but I can hear chirping

This is only needed if the chicks are having trouble hatching. I wouldn't do this unless they can't zip and pip on their own. You can also kill the chick by doing this to early. OP read that article, and gives very specific and expert details on when, how and when not to assist the hatch.
@MGG @shawluvsbirds @FoodFreedomNow
I missed this earlier, sorry!
This is a picture of how they look. My chicken pooped on them a lot. The two marked in green started shaking when I opened the incubator to check on them. The two in blue are broken but when I tapped on them they didn’t move at all. I think they are dead😢 when I tapped on the ones marked in red they didn’t do anything as well, and feel quite hard.
I will candle the “red” ones and see if they’re alive or not.
What should I do with the blue and green?
My gosh, they're filthy. Can you try to wash them off or something? That's a mess. What happened?
Let me finish reading through.

Are you seeing any signs of external pips? That will be a little hole over the rounded end of the egg that the chick uses to breath through. How long have you heard chirping but I'm assuming no external pip? It can take a bit. Keep an eye on them, if they don't external pip in 12-24 hours, make a safety hole. That is basically external pipping for them.
What is your humidity/temp at? Are you using a second calibrated thermometer and humidity gauge?

Its usually safe to make a safety hole if you are concerned as well, as long as you make the hole in a safe place. Though you don't have to risk shrink wrapping as well, and opening the bator releases humidity, there for increasing the chances of shrink-wrapping.
Read this article on assisted hatches in poultry, its very helpful.

Article 'Guide to Assisted Hatching for All Poultry'

I just looked at the picture again. I can see that one is broken with a foot sticking out. Can you still hear peeping from the broken eggs? The eggs with nothing are likely dead. Read the assisted hatch article, follow the instructions there and begin to assist the cracked eggs out of the shell if you can still hear chirping. If they are silent, they are likely dead.

They cracked from zipping because when I put them in the incubator none of them were cracked except for one. It was the one chirping the most.

all of our dog crates were being used so we had no other option but to put her in the smallest one we have, It looked like she had enough room but I don’t know why she decided to do that.
Okay, so they are alive. I know I've said it a bunch of times haha :p, but read that article, that will help you gauge when you should assist, and what to look for. Hopefully they make there way out soon!

Okay, so they are alive. I know I've said it a bunch of times haha :p, but read that article, that will help you gauge when you should assist, and what to look for. Hopefully they make there way out soon!
Thank you! I’ve been reading the article trying to understand everything before I make a move on the eggs. I will keep updated, and thank you for being so nice about it.

I’ve seen some people comment about why I put them in if they were covered in poop, I did this with no bad intentions. I wanted them to survive, never did I want to hurt them or end their lives by just simply “throwing” them away. If there’s a way I can help them live, I will do whatever it takes. 😢

Back
Top Bottom