Day 31 and still no chicks but I can hear chirping

L12837H

Chirping
Mar 3, 2021
I had a broody hen but I guess she didn’t sit on the eggs correctly and they didn’t hatch by day 23. I decided it would be better if I put the eggs in the incubator and let her free. I could hear lots of chirping, and one of the eggs was actually already cracked. It is now day 31 and I still hear lots of chirping but no eggs have hatched. What should I do!!??

Someone please help me!!! I don’t want them to die

This is only needed if the chicks are having trouble hatching. I wouldn't do this unless they can't zip and pip on their own. You can also kill the chick by doing this to early. OP read that article, and gives very specific and expert details on when, how and when not to assist the hatch.
@MGG @shawluvsbirds @FoodFreedomNow
Its day 31.The chicks might be shrink wrapped so i she should help now dr she might lose the chick

Are you sure you counted the days right? Its not likely they would be still alive if it was actually day 31. Often times, mother hens will partially sit on the eggs for a few moments everyday to build their clutch. The clutch is the amount of eggs they sit on during incubation.
Is it possible you started counting the days before she had her clutch built, and was scarily incubating the eggs? It can take about a week before she decides the clutch is big enough to incubate.

Throw them in the trash.

I could hear chirping... I wasn’t just gonna throw away some eggs that clearly had life inside of them😐
I would have done the same thing that day.

You have an incubator so I assume you have used it before which would lead me to believe that you had an idea about how many days it takes for an egg to hatch.

What I don't understand is why you would wait 10 days after hatch day to ask what to do with the eggs. I believe you already know the answers to the questions you are asking.

I had a broody hen but I guess she didn’t sit on the eggs correctly and they didn’t hatch by day 23. I decided it would be better if I put the eggs in the incubator and let her free. I could hear lots of chirping, and one of the eggs was actually already cracked. It is now day 31 and I still hear lots of chirping but no eggs have hatched. What should I do!!??

Someone please help me!!! I don’t want them to die
1)STEP1: candle the eggs ok and see if you see the chicks beak at the air cell.If so that means they have internally pipped
2)STEP2:If step 1 is good then make an external hole at top of air sac.Make sure that chicks beak is visible and not covered by external shell.This will help hi breathe
3)STEP3:Get an ear bud or Q tip and dampen the membrane of egg with water.DONT AND I MEAN DONT TRY TO RIP THE MEMBRANE APART.BE CAREFUL.I have lost two chisk in my recent hatch as i tore the membrane and it bled to death.
4)STEP4: if you see clear blood vessels put the egg back in incubator and wait for 4 hours then repeat q tip process.If result is same,give more time.
5)STEP5:if blood vessels have receded and you dont see any blood vessels in membrane only spider like pink lines then your proceed next step
6)STEP6:Carefully use a tweezer or tiny object to help chick out dont just get him out.HElp him to become unstuck and leave him in half of shell.
7)STEP7:He will come out himself
8)STEP8:If you see tiny bump on his back apply antiseptic on him and leave him be but seperate him from other chicsk then.
9)STEP9:share results with me

1)STEP1: candle the eggs ok and see if you see the chicks beak at the air cell.If so that means they have internally pipped
The drop in humidity can cause shrink wrapping for the chicks. Its not 100% likely they will shrink wrap, but this definitely increases the chances. I would only candle if you think they may have passed.

2)STEP2:If step 1 is good then make an external hole at top of air sac.Make sure that chicks beak is visible and not covered by external shell.This will help hi breathe
3)STEP3:Get an ear bud or Q tip and dampen the membrane of egg with water.DONT AND I MEAN DONT TRY TO RIP THE MEMBRANE APART.BE CAREFUL.I have lost two chisk in my recent hatch as i tore the membrane and it bled to death.
4)STEP4: if you see clear blood vessels put the egg back in incubator and wait for 4 hours then repeat q tip process.If result is same,give more time.
5)STEP5:if blood vessels have receded and you dont see any blood vessels in membrane only spider like pink lines then your proceed next step
6)STEP6:Carefully use a tweezer or tiny object to help chick out dont just get him out.HElp him to become unstuck and leave him in half of shell.
7)STEP7:He will come out himself
8)STEP8:If you see tiny bump on his back apply antiseptic on him and leave him be but seperate him from other chicsk then.
9)STEP9:share results with me
This is only needed if the chicks are having trouble hatching. I wouldn't do this unless they can't zip and pip on their own. You can also kill the chick by doing this to early. OP read that article, and gives very specific and expert details on when, how and when not to assist the hatch.
@MGG @shawluvsbirds @FoodFreedomNow

Are you seeing any signs of external pips? That will be a little hole over the rounded end of the egg that the chick uses to breath through. How long have you heard chirping but I'm assuming no external pip? It can take a bit. Keep an eye on them, if they don't external pip in 12-24 hours, make a safety hole. That is basically external pipping for them.
What is your humidity/temp at? Are you using a second calibrated thermometer and humidity gauge?
This is a picture of how they look. My chicken pooped on them a lot. The two marked in green started shaking when I opened the incubator to check on them. The two in blue are broken but when I tapped on them they didn’t move at all. I think they are dead😢 when I tapped on the ones marked in red they didn’t do anything as well, and feel quite hard.
I will candle the “red” ones and see if they’re alive or not.
What should I do with the blue and green?

Attachments

• B1939D73-1CBA-45CD-82CF-38CEABC47140.jpeg
    B1939D73-1CBA-45CD-82CF-38CEABC47140.jpeg
    596.7 KB · Views: 68

Back
Top Bottom