Day 31 call ducks

Apr 21, 2021
It's day 31 and my call duck egg is definitely still alive, it moves about when I whistle or tap at it, it has thick distinct veins and a good air cell, however there is no internal or external pip and I have no idea why... Is there something I can do to get it out or should I just wait? Thank you

It's day 31 and my call duck egg is definitely still alive, it moves about when I whistle or tap at it, it has thick distinct veins and a good air cell, however there is no internal or external pip and I have no idea why... Is there something I can do to get it out or should I just wait? Thank you
What temperature have the eggs been at? Are you sure you counted the days until hatch/lockdown correctly? Remember, the first day doesn’t count.

What temperature have the eggs been at? Are you sure you counted the days until hatch/lockdown correctly? Remember, the first day doesn’t count.
The egg has been at 38.3 degrees for the whole lockdown period without fail, and I'm pretty sure I counted the days correctly, and even if I didn't include the extra day it should've hatched by now :( I don't know whether I should help or anything...

You should candle it and see if you see movement. At this point, since Calls hatch on day 26 usually, that would make it five days late. So you'll want to take a peak in there and see what's going on. And post a picture too if you can.

What date did you set the egg? And what temperature was your incubator during normal incubation? And is it still air or forced air?

Hey, thank you for replying! I've candled it just now and it still moves when I tap it and the veins are still very defined. I set the egg on the 24th of march and the incubator is a forced air incubator and was at 38 degrees celcius during incubation and then it has been in 38.3 degrees for the last week now for lockdown. I'll try and attach some photos but I don't know if it'll work
16193655394956366817744896855819.jpg
16193656199866137618025608570495.jpg

Update: I decided to see what was going on and have worsened the situation... I gently and slowly made my way into the egg and was very careful about doing it. When I first got into the egg he was kicking and moving and then as we went on he eventually stopped, however his heart is still beating, he's not breathing on his own and he has absorbed almost none of the yolk but also doesn't look like a call duck which is suspicious... Because his shell was now ruined I have made a makeshift egg out of cling film suspended over a cup-it's the best I could think of-I didn't cut any veins so he hasn't lost any blood and his yolk is still attached... Really hoping for the best but am well aware that the situation he is now in is extremely difficult... Fingers crossed a miracle happens

Is it possible that it's a muscovy egg?
It's not supposed to be, the website I bought it from said they were call ducks, but I didn't see his farm so there's no way I can say 100% no... But regardless I woke up this morning and the duckling has unfortunately passed :( I'm not giving up though!! I must hatch something!

It's not supposed to be, the website I bought it from said they were call ducks, but I didn't see his farm so there's no way I can say 100% no... But regardless I woke up this morning and the duckling has unfortunately passed :( I'm not giving up though!! I must hatch something!

Sorry that happened. With it going so long and still being alive, and looking like it wasn't even fully developed yet based on that candling picture, I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out it was indeed a muscovy.

Either that, or the temperatures in your incubator are off and are running pretty low. You might want to double check that before doing another hatch, to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom