Day 6 candling

Here’s the thing… if you float an egg and wait for it to jiggle in the water, then yes, it’s alive! But all the other indicators that are recommended to watch for, such as sinking, cannot “prove” that it’s dead. Just this site alone can provide many examples of sinking eggs that contained a live chick. On the flip side, floating does not necessarily mean it’s alive. The egg has to be left floating long enough to jiggle and the longer it stays wet, the worse that is on the shell.
In essence, my position is that candling is much more accurate and safe. If someone isn’t sure, just leave it in the incubator until a more definite candling can be determined.

Again, this is just my opinion. I always say “your egg, your choice”. I just offer my experience for consideration, not as law or judgement of anyones choices.
Would the sinking with a live chick / duck be because a baby has internal pip and this would release the floating air cell method ?
I never thought Of this until you pointed out it gives lots of false negatives
That being said I watched a guy do the float test and his egg sunk but it was just rocking in the bator
That proves your post they give false positives
I won’t advise to do it again as I didn’t know either
I also never float test mine as I candle and get all the info I need
Thanks for sharing this :)

Last edited:
Would the sinking with a live chick / duck be because a baby has internal pip and this would release the floating air cell method ?
I never thought Of this until you pointed out it gives lots of false negatives
That being said I watched a guy do the float test and his egg sunk but it was just rocking in the bator
That proves your post they give false positives
I won’t advise to do it again as I didn’t know either
I also never float test mine as I candle and get all the info I need
Thanks for sharing this :)
Its very bizarre, whatever causes them to sink- this far into incuabtion they should float, whether fertilised or not, quit or not- It's weird how occassionally they sink. I'd also like to know why it happens. It's a good theory about internal pip, but this baby never did internally pip

Its very bizarre, whatever causes them to sink- this far into incuabtion they should float, whether fertilised or not, quit or not- It's weird how occassionally they sink. I'd also like to know why it happens. It's a good theory about internal pip, but this baby never did internally pip
Very confusing

I think the sinking comes if they don’t lose enough moisture and the air cell isn’t big enough to cause them to float (too high humidity). But we’ve all seen chicks hatch when the humidity was too high. Not best case scenario, but not always a death sentence.

@BitsyDUCK is the fan still making noise??? I hope it’s not dying!! If you have a can of that compressed air spray, like for computer keyboards etc, you might try spraying. Or just peck on the lid first. Maybe it’s just a bit off kilter. :fl

HELP..... we woke up to a new baby duckling but he had a mushy piece bulging from the back of the duck... duck seems fine but that piece is sticking to the dry paper towel.... HELP!! I don't what to do I can't even get a pic of it!

HELP..... we woke up to a new baby duckling but he had a mushy piece bulging from the back of the duck... duck seems fine but that piece is sticking to the dry paper towel.... HELP!! I don't what to do I can't even get a pic of it!
Take a warm wet rag or paper towel and rub it gently
It could be the goo from the egg that dried on him. It dries like cement and take a bit to get it off
Make sure to check him for pasty butt as well if he has goo stuck to him

Take a warm wet rag or paper towel and rub it gently
It could be the goo from the egg that dried on him. It dries like cement and take a bit to get it off
Make sure to check him for pasty butt as well if he has goo stuck to him
It’s not a open wound ? Just goo like stuff that dried to his back and paper towel ?

Back
Top Bottom