Day old partridge Penedesencas

I would make guesses now based on the coloring of male and female chicks, and then leg band them to see how they turn out. Maybe also take pictures of each one to reference later.
You'll also be able to differentiate males and females in just a few weeks based on comb growth. Males will also have thicker, longer legs than the girls.

Thanks ChickenCanoe; I'll take photos, but I don't have legbands nor any experience putting them on, and I wouldn't want to hurt their tiny little legs.
If it turns out just 1 or 2 are boys, then I'll go with the idea that very slight colouring differences do work, even if not rigorously tested :p

Thanks ChickenCanoe; I'll take photos, but I don't have legbands nor any experience putting them on, and I wouldn't want to hurt their tiny little legs.
If it turns out just 1 or 2 are boys, then I'll go with the idea that very slight colouring differences do work, even if not rigorously tested :p
You can use colored zip ties. Just make sure you change them as they grow. Perhaps bi-weekly at first then monthly. I make them loose but tight enough that they won't fall off of their toes. You won't hurt their legs. They aren't that fragile.

I'm uncomfortable with that idea too, as zip-ties have to be cut off don't they? Thinking of what farmers round here do with sheep, would a dab from a sharpie on their head fluff work instead?

They are now 2 weeks old, and I notice that one of them has the first shoulder feathers showing; is that significant for identifying gender? In some breeds feather sexing works, but I can't find info anywhere on whether it does for Pennies

feather devt 2 wks.jpg

So they are now 5 1/2 weeks, and one, Phoenix, is very obviously male (and has been since comb stood out at 3 weeks). Not only his comb and wattles, but his overall size now makes him stand out from the rest. It remains to be seen if Prada (bottom right here) is also male but suppressing expression of it. 3, including Ph and Pr, are relatively slow feathering, but that is not an indicator of gender apparently.
feathering 5 wks.jpg

Update for anyone interested in this: they will be 11 weeks old tomorrow, and I'm sure we've got 3 boys and 3 girls; all 3 slow-feathering ones now have brighter ginger head and neck feathers, and more black in their body feathers, as well as bigger combs, than do the girls. Phoenix still towers over the rest, inc the other boys. All 3 boys still have some grey chick down btw!

Back
Top Bottom