Daylight Savings Time = NO EGGS!!

I got my first egg from my BO yesterday and today the other BO is in the nest box. If all goes well, I hope to get 4 eggs from the BOs and BSLs.

The only affect the time change has is that I have to reset the light timer.

Mine must not have realized we changed the clocks. We got 16 yesterday which is fairly typical.
smile.png

Last winter my hens laid with no interruptions, but they had just started laying in Oct./Nov. of last year so they were young. This is their second Fall/Winter and they stopped laying last week all of them. I read the stress article so it most likely is due to that, I put a young rooster in with my 4 hens and at first they had him too scared to come out of the roost, but by this morning he is definitely in charge. I guess that is the reason, anyone have any similar experience and have any idea how long the egg laying protest may take?

We got 2 eggs today! So we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I think it could be due to stress as well. Ours just want to be out of the run. We have one (our EE) who will come into the coop when we open the egg door and she will try to come out there. One of them actually did that one day, and ever since they have all wanted out.

Four eggs over six days, 13 hens. I'll be so happy when their feathers grow back so I can start adding light so they start doing their job again... They are mostly re-feathered so I'm going to start gradually adding light. Hopefully they'll get the hint.

This is our first fall/winter. We were getting 3-4 eggs every day from 4 chickens. For the last week, 2 or 3 eggs. Yesterday (Sunday) - 0 eggs. Today -2. Hopefully it's the change in daylight hours and the snow last weekend.

My girls want out of the run but with school in session ( I work in one), no dice.

Our BR just laid her first and second egg. She is 28 weeks. We put a light in the run tonight and they all went to bed! I am going to have the light go on early in the morning to see if that gives them more "light time" and then keep it on in the evening. So we shall see.

I'm still getting 1-2 eggs a day (from 3 laying birds and 1 molter) any time its a sunny day. On cloudy days, I dont get any as its not light enough for them.

Down to under a dozen eggs now.

i have 12 girls and no eggs for probably 6 weeks now. some are moulting....and 6 are too young anyway (18 weeks). i rarely even check for eggs anymore...maybe twice a week i'll check.

Back
Top Bottom