DE and Hemp in coop

SamIamNam786

Songster
Aug 10, 2023
Central NJ
Good Afternoon everyone!
Curious to know who uses both hemp and DE in the coop. I know hemp is an insect repellent, but would adding DE do an even better job of it?
add DE to the bottom, then cover with hemp? I do plan to use the deep litter method in the coop. In the run, I plan to use wood chips.

Also, peet moss....can i use the Miracle-Gro brand? (Plan to add it to a dust bath for the 5-week chickees) or does that include fertilizer that would not be good for the chickens?

would DE work in humidity? NJ has had a humid smmer this year!

Last edited:
Good Afternoon everyone!
Curious to know who uses both hemp and DE in the coop. I know hemp is an insect repellent, but would adding DE do an even better job of it?
add DE to the bottom, then cover with hemp? I do plan to use the deep litter method in the coop. In the run, I plan to use wood chips.

Also, peet moss....can i use the Miracle-Gro brand? (Plan to add it to a dust bath for the 5-week chickees) or does that include fertilizer that would not be good for the chickens?
I can’t answer all your questions. Everyone here chooses what is right/convenient for them.

I add DE to the dustbath an in the nestboxes I made a layer of sand mixed with DE under the bedding. In winter I use straw with hay. In summer shavings with hay (grass clippings from the lawn) .

I see no reason why you should not choose/do as you suggest.

Thank you!
I can’t answer all your questions. Everyone here chooses what is right/convenient for them.

I add DE to the dustbath an in the nestboxes I made a layer of sand mixed with DE under the bedding. In winter I use straw with hay. In summer shavings with hay (grass clippings from the lawn) .

I see no reason why you should not choose/do as you suggest.

DE and deep litter method won't work together. DE is a drying agent, and deep litter requires moisture. DE also kills the beneficial microorganisms that the deep litter method requires to compost.

As for the dust bath, I would not use anything with fertilizers in it. Plain, 100% Peat Moss is fine.

DE and deep litter method won't work together. DE is a drying agent, and deep litter requires moisture. DE also kills the beneficial microorganisms that the deep litter method requires to compost.

As for the dust bath, I would not use anything with fertilizers in it. Plain, 100% Peat Moss is fine.
What do ppl use to keep pests and insects away in a deep litter coop? I thought that’s what I had been reading, but Carolina cop suggests not to use DE .

Everyone does say that DE doesn't help when it is wet. It also can irritate their respiratory systems, but it can't be that bad if so many people use it. I would be cautious still.

Is it hemp hurds? I would also look out for bumble foot, because that stuff can be kind of pokey.

I think certain natural materials may say that they repel bugs, but they can still get lice and mites. I think you just have to keep watch and treat them with something effective either way.

What do ppl use to keep pests and insects away in a deep litter coop? I thought that’s what I had been reading, but Carolina cop suggests not to use DE .
Many people dont do anything in their coops for pests (unless there's an infestation to treat). If the chickens are dust bathing regularly, and there are preventative measures taken such as avoiding letting wild birds and rodents in the coop/run, that is typically enough to keep things in balance. Some people treat their coop with permetherin seasonally (or when they do a deep clean out).

I can't really speak to the specifics of what people do with DLM. I dont think DE is as effective at preventing pests as some folks think it is. I only know that everything I've ever read about deep litter says do not use DE as it counteracts the composting process.

I use the dry bedding method in the coop. I scoop overnight poops daily and the litter stays clean and dry. I only clean it out completely once or twice per year. I do use First Saturday Lime in my coop, run and dust bath. I also add Sulfur to my dust bath to prevent mite/lice infestations.

If this is a Carolina Coop style build you're not going to do deep litter anyhow, that optimally requires moisture and ground contact (and encouraging microbes, worms and insects to get in there and help out). Deep bedding is what you're thinking of.

A lot of us avoid DE as it's a respiratory irritant and really doesn't do anything against parasites.

I use some hemp in the coop under the roosts but it has nothing to do with insects, it's mainly because it's absorbent and easy to sift poop out of. The rest of my coop is wood chips and my run is true deep litter (bugs and all).

I don't think anything Miracle-Gro brand comes without fertilizers. If you're using peat moss you want 100% nothing else added plain peat moss.

If this is a Carolina Coop style build you're not going to do deep litter anyhow, that optimally requires moisture and ground contact (and encouraging microbes, worms and insects to get in there and help out). Deep bedding is what you're thinking of.

A lot of us avoid DE as it's a respiratory irritant and really doesn't do anything against parasites.

I use some hemp in the coop under the roosts but it has nothing to do with insects, it's mainly because it's absorbent and easy to sift poop out of. The rest of my coop is wood chips and my run is true deep litter (bugs and all).

I don't think anything Miracle-Gro brand comes without fertilizers. If you're using peat moss you want 100% nothing else added plain peat moss.
Thank you. Yes you are correct, I meant to say deep bedding in the coop. I do hope to do deep litter in my run, as I plan to use wood chips in it. Do I add the hardware cloth to the bottom first over the grass, in the run, since I want to create an apron around the run as well?
Under the roosts, I just found some leftover laminate flooring that I’ll add as a poop board. Under that , on the floor, I will use the hemp.

I’ll grab the 100% peat moss tomorrow,

Back
Top Bottom