Aug 31, 2021
Aloha! I have a silky rooster who is 2 years old. We are moving from Hawaii to Las Vegas. There is a law against crowing roosters over there and I am looking for options to make him stop crowing. I do not want to rehome him because he is like a child to my son and we are all very attached to him. I am open to the decrowing surgery or having him caponized; which I heard will help him to stop crowing (although I don't know if it's feasible for his age of 2 years). We already are using a Crow Collar but it does not reduce the volume very much; he is still extremely loud. I also read online about some kind of hormone therapy that they give to hens but can also give to roosters to make them stop crowing. I would rather go with the least invasive option but we need one of these options nevertheless. Does anyone know of a veterinarian in the Las Vegas or surrounding area that offers any of these services? I don't want to hear any backlash about how it is a rooster's job to Crow. I realize this but he is like our family and we do not want to have to rehome him due to the city laws. If anyone has any advice for me or references on who to call please help! We are desperate!

This thread has me SMH.
If this rooster is like a child to your family why in the world would you buy a house where one of your children wouldn't be allowed?
I don't see an option that would work.
We have been given a 2 month notice to vacate our current home in Hawaii that we are renting because the owners want to move back in. We were planning on already moving to Vegas because my mother is getting older and I am an only child and have to take care of her. The housing market is crazy right now in Vegas and there are not a lot of options so I had to take what I could get. We don't have anywhere else to go and had to pick a house and quick. Our situation is complicated so please don't judge unless you have been in this situation. That's why I'm on this forum trying to find solutions that will work for both fluffy and the rest of our family.

I think that considering your other thread and the real fact that the chickens are adapted to an almost perfect environment, it might be time to teach your children about loss. You aren't going to get those birds to the mainland without paying a smuggler, not right now anyway.
They would be much happier left with another family.

The chosen path is the one you must walk, and it doesn't have room for a rooster.

Not the point of the thread, but why on earth would you move from beautiful tropical island Hawaii to dirty dusty deserty Vegas? 😬

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1631147754633.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631147754633.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 46

Back
Top Bottom