You might want to look at how your crow collar is fitted. I have been working with my young rooster for about a month before I finally figured out the fit and placement. Some of the videos say to put it high, some low, some that it does not matter. I suspect that it depends on the bird. One thing for sure, i had it far too loose. Partly that was because I was not arranging the feathers so they would be smooth under the collar. Once I found the perfect spot (for my roo about 3/4 down the neck) and smoothed the feathers and then put on the collar so I could barely stick my pinky just inside the collar, it worked perfectly. He's happy and hopping around, eating and doing all those roo things. He crows but it's very soft. I cannot hear it at all from inside the house.

We have been given a 2 month notice to vacate our current home in Hawaii that we are renting because the owners want to move back in. We were planning on already moving to Vegas because my mother is getting older and I am an only child and have to take care of her. The housing market is crazy right now in Vegas and there are not a lot of options so I had to take what I could get. We don't have anywhere else to go and had to pick a house and quick. Our situation is complicated so please don't judge unless you have been in this situation. That's why I'm on this forum trying to find solutions that will work for both fluffy and the rest of our family.
You obviously love your feathered family I only wish I had answers for you.

I very much admire the fact you are searching for solutions and doing the best possible by everyone. People are too quick to judge, finding a home is difficult enough let alone settling your animal's in as well.

Wishing you every success in finding that home. I lost my mine and was forced too part from my family but we are still close. It was hard but I persevered and I am in a much better situation.

My home today is far from perfect but it suits me and my animal's are really content so don't despair. :)
If you have to make the choice of rehoming or even fostering, you are in BYC thank goodness. Someone here will more than likely support you.

Good luck ❤️

I wonder if there is a fostering thread here 🤔 maybe you could start one under "managing flocks" just a thought.

Last edited:
You obviously love your feathered family I only wish I had answers for you.

I very much admire the fact you are searching for solutions and doing the best possible by everyone. People are too quick to judge, finding a home is difficult enough let alone settling your animal's in as well.

Wishing you every success in finding that home. I lost my mine and was forced too part from my family but we are still close. It was hard but I persevered and I am in a much better situation.

My home today is far from perfect but it suits me and my animal's are really content so don't despair. :)
If you have to make the choice of rehoming or even fostering, you are in BYC thank goodness. Someone here will more than likely support you.

Good luck ❤️

I wonder if there is a fostering thread here 🤔 maybe you could start one under "managing flocks" just a thought.
Thank you for your reply, we've decided to keep both Peeps and Fluffy. We are going to build a coop with a run in the garage which will be better than outside due to the unfamiliar desert conditions. We can put a swamp cooler in there to keep them cool. My son is very good about taking them to the park and on ouings/adventures every day to get their exercise. Hopefully the combination of the crow collar and the garage walls will muffle the sound!

You might want to look at how your crow collar is fitted. I have been working with my young rooster for about a month before I finally figured out the fit and placement. Some of the videos say to put it high, some low, some that it does not matter. I suspect that it depends on the bird. One thing for sure, i had it far too loose. Partly that was because I was not arranging the feathers so they would be smooth under the collar. Once I found the perfect spot (for my roo about 3/4 down the neck) and smoothed the feathers and then put on the collar so I could barely stick my pinky just inside the collar, it worked perfectly. He's happy and hopping around, eating and doing all those roo things. He crows but it's very soft. I cannot hear it at all from inside the house.
Thank you I'll experiment with this a little more!

Oh my gosh!! I stress out. EVERY SINGLE MORNING when Pepper starts crowing. Parts of our town chickens are allowed but not sure about right here. I just posted a somewhat open letter to the 3 houses behind me to feel out, hopefully, whether Peppers crowing at 6 am bothers them.
I wasn't aware there are collars to stop crowing!!!!!! For real?????

Oh my gosh!! I stress out. EVERY SINGLE MORNING when Pepper starts crowing. Parts of our town chickens are allowed but not sure about right here. I just posted a somewhat open letter to the 3 houses behind me to feel out, hopefully, whether Peppers crowing at 6 am bothers them.
I wasn't aware there are collars to stop crowing!!!!!! For real?????
Yes definitely! I use this one:
https://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/No-Crow-Rooster-Collar-c89.aspx

I have it on all three of my roos and all of them are happy and crow so softly the hens make more noise! :)

Partly that was because I was not arranging the feathers so they would be smooth under the collar. Once I found the perfect spot (for my roo about 3/4 down the neck) and smoothed the feathers and then put on the collar so I could barely stick my pinky just inside the collar, it worked perfectly. He's happy and hopping around, eating and doing all those roo things. He crows but it's very soft. I cannot hear it at all from inside the house.
what do you mean by "smoothing" the feathers? I thought you have to lift the feathers upward toward his head before slipping the collar on? 🤔

Once I found the perfect spot (for my roo about 3/4 down the neck) and smoothed the feathers and then put on the collar so I could barely stick my pinky just inside the collar, it worked perfectly.

@lesliedow, was wondering how wide your collar is? ie. are you using the no-crow collar or did you make your own? I actually made two home-made roo collars for each cockerel .. each about 2.5cm wide (about an inch) using flannel material with velcros at the ends. I noticed my 5 cm wide (2 inches) collars don't fit very well - especially at the bottom of the neck where it curves upwards. The two separate collars seem to fix that problem with the lower one fitting perfectly round the curve.

I tried a no crow collar on my rooster and he flipped out. He was doing somersaults and backing up ....I hadn't even tried to make it tight. I just put it loosly around his feathers. Never tried it again after that.
they'll reverse back to try and get the collar out of them as they're not used to it. It may take them a while to adjust to it.. sometimes they'll just sit there for a few minutes looking sad but they'll get over it soon enough. Putting it loosely is the right thing to do for first timers. I do that for my cockerels too. They take only a day to get used to it and then you can start tightening it the following day and monitor and adjust accordingly.

Back
Top Bottom