DE ????

domromer

Songster
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Flagstaff,AZ
Whats the deal with DE? I hear it mentioned a lot, but know nothing about it. What is it? How do I use it? Is it safe for other pets?

If you use the search function and the key word Diatomaceous Earth you will find many posts and lots of advice about using it.

DE MUST be food grade or you will poison your flock.

Greginshasta - the DE must be food grade otherwise it is poisonous to your chickens and other animals. The package will be clearly labled for food grade DE - it may say something like codex grade fossil shell flour.

Doing a quick search for that brand I would say what you have is NOT food grade. It is gardening DE. If your chickens free range keep them out of your compost pile for a while.

Last edited:
I just got some yesterday and wasn't sure if it was food grade either, so what I did was call the number on the back of the bag and asked them directly.....turns out mine IS food grade. Mine is made by Concern.

Bec - Concern is also from www.saferbrand.com - I saw that last night while researching this.

MissPrissy or anyone - We have placed this Safer Brand DE on our compost pile to eliminate flies, and the compost goes on our vegetables. Is that ok, or did we damage our compost in this use?

That is why I called them..I wasn't sure .....I just talked to them again... She explained to me that the Concern brand is 100% safe and natural and will NOT hurt or harm your chickens or other animals. She said it is safe to use in and around their coops as well as in barns and houses. it is a good flea control for indoor use . She said it is non-toxic and can be used inside your home. The reason it states on the bag that is may cause eye irritation is because DE will dry your eyes and not to breathe the dust because it will also dry your system...which is how it works on bugs. It dries their exoskeleton and dehydrates them and they die. She said once the powder is down and settled it is fine. She said that with the breathing thing...it takes a lot of constant exposure of the dust for it to become a problem...it is a safty precaution that must be stated I guess.

So you may want to just call and talk to someone with your particular brand....they are very helpful and ask a lot of questions...after all, our chickens are very important and I am sure we all want to be safe and make sure they are healthy and happy.

Thanks so much Bec.

On edit, I just want to add that in today's climate of problems with imported food (and other) products, lack of corporate responsibility and proper oversight - I really find myself being extremely cautious about the choices of products I use. This thread is helping resolve some of my concerns about DE.

Last edited:
I totally agree!! If it weren't for this board I would be lost in the world of Chickens!! lol

I would still call and check on the Safer Brand..she said that some of the DE sold does have insect bait in it. Concern doesn't but some do.
there should be an 800 number on the back of the bag....I called them while I was in the store before I bought it! I wanted to be really sure!! The guy at my local feed store wasn't sure either..so I figured I would go right to the source!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom