dead babies

i just got new chicks and 2 have died, am i doing something wrong?  have a nice pen in the den with heated lamp

Sadly sometimes the chicks die and you don't have to do a thing wrong. But as for your question,
It's impossible to answer that. Can you post a picture of your brooder? Can I ask a few questions? In your brooder, do you have a warm AND COOL area they can get away from the heat if needed? What temperature is the warm area? Have you been dropping the temperature by 5 degrees each week of life? The warm area shouldn't be warmer than 95 for a day old chick. After they are a week old 90 degrees and so on. This is just a rule of thumb. Chicks can get too hot and become Ill or die. Have you been checking their bottoms to make sure they don't no pasty butt (where poo hardens and the chick can not go poo) they can die from it. Have you noticed if the birds that passed were fluffed up in appearance, extra sleepy, lethergic, have foamy or runny stool? What kind of feed are they on medicated? If you answer these questions maybe together we can figure out what happened. It could be being shipped to feed store or wherever you got them was just too much for them. ? How was their behavior before they passed? How long did you have them? Any signs of distress? Chirping ect? I'm really sorry you lost them. Sometimes we never get a answer as to why the chicks or chickens have passed, we can only guess by clues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom