Dead baby quail

Alex Arnold

Hatching
Jun 23, 2022
Hi
Im into hatching quail now. But everytime i hatch some, they die after 2 or 3 days. They seem to never learn to eat. Ive never had this problems rising baby chickens. Anyone else having problems after hatching baby quail,?

What are you feeding them? Is it ground small enough for them to eat? I will start with the first one and tap at the food until it pecks there too. Once one learns, the rest follow.

Pictures of your setup would also help. What is the temperature at the warm end of your brooder? Do you have a cool end?

Hi
Im into hatching quail now. But everytime i hatch some, they die after 2 or 3 days. They seem to never learn to eat. Ive never had this problems rising baby chickens. Anyone else having problems after hatching baby quail,?
Nabiki can help you the most.
I just want to say I feed my Quail a Gamebird Starter feed that is 30% protein or Gamebird Grower at 24% protein and I grind it in a coffee grinder. You can get them anywhere, I got mine at Amazon, but they have them at Walmart for less than $20. The longer you grind the more powdery it becomes. I like it very fine at first.

Are you dipping their beaks in the water as soon as you put them in the brooder? Baby quail may never find it if you don't show them. Food is easier. I second grinding the 30% gamebird starter crumbles it (I use the ninja) for the first little while. Sounds like they might be dehydrated. Are you keeping the brooder warm enough? What is their behavior like (bunched up (too cold), splayed out, panting (too hot))? I've never hatched chickens but I got some chicks this spring, and they seem WAY easier than quail to keep alive, haha.

Back
Top Bottom